My newest tool
I finally got a horizontal band saw. I've been needing one for a while now. I found it on Craig's list and it is in great condition with a couple spare blades and a coolant pump set-up. It is a Wilton 4"x7" and uses 55 1/2" x 1/2" blades. I think I did good? What do you think? I think PixMan told me once that the band is a must for a shop and tool for tool it does the most amount of work for the least amount of time, cost, and effort. (He said it better but I hope you get the point.....I did)

[Image: IMAG2663_zpsec39e081.jpg]
[Image: IMAG2664_zpsb98699a1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(04-03-2013, 08:48 PM)fullautomike Wrote: I think I did good? What do you think?

I think you are right. The expression on your face says it all -----> Drool

Big Grin
Willie
Thanks given by:
Nice looking saw Mike. Keep listening to PixMan and you won't go wrong.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
I have a similar machine
Saves loads of arm ache and time
John
Thanks given by:
Smiley-signs009
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Thanks guys, and wow! What a world wide group we have have here! I was just noticing where everyone was from. Just shows deep down we are all more or less the same. That's awesome Smile I just updated my profile to reflect that Connecticut is in the USA........but I'm sure you guys already knew that.
Thanks given by:
Nice find Mike! That one appears to be pretty good quality. I especially like the way that rolling carrier for it is made. Having coolant is a big plus, as it really extends blade life quite a bit and keeps things cutting free.
Thanks given by:
Good looking saw, you will be glad you bought it, hand hacksawing is brutal on thick stuff.

Is that a USA built saw?
sasquatch, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by:
(04-05-2013, 06:57 AM)PixMan Wrote: Nice find Mike! That one appears to be pretty good quality. I especially like the way that rolling carrier for it is made. Having coolant is a big plus, as it really extends blade life quite a bit and keeps things cutting free.

Thanks, and that was one of the things that sold me on it. The guy I bought it from had a working machine shop in his basement. He re machined and or remade all the adjustment parts with stainless steel and replaced the bushings and bearings.

Any tips on how tight to make the blade? How do I know when it is too tight VS not tight enough?
Thanks given by:
Quote:8. Use the blade tension knob to put tension on the
blade until it no longer slips on the wheels.
Note: Do not over tighten the blade. Just increase
tension until the blade does not slip on the wheels.

http://content.wiltontool.com/manuals/m_3130.pdf
Willie
Thanks given by: