Tightening a 3-Jaw Chuck
Question 
What's considered the proper way to tighten a 3-jaw chuck. I've heard differing opinions.

1. Always tighten using one jaw, the same one, every time.
2. Tighten using all three evenly.
3. It doesn't matter.

Thanks,
Ed
Thanks given by:
I would like to see the responses on this as well. Popcorn

I don't have a clue about what is 'proper', but I normally just tighten any one screw Big Grin unless it is something that I want to be sure that it doesn't come loose from the chuck.

I think #1 is ruled out because the scrolls aren't perfect and the individual jaws are going to get different amounts of pressure on them at different diameters. So in my thinking, going around the chuck and hitting ALL the screws is just added insurance.

I have more problems with drill chucks than I do with lathe chucks though. (That reminds me... I need to pull apart one of my Super-Chucks and check the jaws on it.) Smiley-signs131
Willie
Thanks given by:
I just tighten the whatever socket happens to be most convenient. It's a 3-jaw, if it's high quality one pinion will do and if it's low quality or worn (or both) there's no point in other procedures, they won't turn a 3-jaw into a collet chuck.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
I've read of a master jaw on a 3-jaw chuck and that's the one that's supposed to be tightened, and only that one. Confused

Ed
Thanks given by:
Where's the quote? Just like pic evidence, "no pics, it didn't happen". No quote, you never really read it! Jawdrop
Rotfl
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(01-24-2013, 05:08 PM)stevec Wrote: Where's the quote? Just like pic evidence, "no pics, it didn't happen". No quote, you never really read it! Jawdrop
Rotfl

No chance in hell I'll remember where that quote was. I guess I never read it then. 17428

Ed
Thanks given by:
Gotcha!
Thanks given by:
I always tightened all three sockets, and still do if I need to grab something hard, but recently read on another forum that one socket on beter chucks is marked as the master. Apparently the factory uses it to tighten when grinding the jaws. Not sure how much difference it makes.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
I have mostly just tightened with one screw, however on a tricky clamping if i feel a bit unsafe i will check the other two.
In reality i suppose all three should be snugged up.
sasquatch, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by:
On quality chucks Number 1 jaw is the master jaw (this one should be used for the final tightening)
I had a bit play with my 3 jaw Burnerd chuck
The chuck held a acuracy of 2 thousandths
It made no differance wich jaw was tightend last
If i need something to run dead true i use a 4 jaw or a collet
John
Thanks given by: