Need a disc sander?
Need to build a disc sander?

This will do the job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSy3rE-yRP8

Love to have a few of those discs in stock for projects!!Smiley-dancenana
sasquatch, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by:
That video is a little deceptive because it's not done in realtime, although they did show the elapsed time clock running. I've run big Marvel vertical bandsaws back in the 1980's which could also cut clean and stright like that (within .010" flatness in 12" rounds) when a new blade was properly aligned and tensioned.

FWIW, I have a bandsaw website bookmarked on my PC because they've got some great prices on bandsaw blades and other goodies. Well worth a look!

http://bandsawparts.com/index.cfm
Thanks given by:
Thanks, Wow, lots of reference there, Thanks for that!!
Thanks given by:
Built a disk sander close to that size. They're cutting 18 inch disks, mine is only 16. Made it from plate though. had the disk faced and back faced, (before I had a lathe big enough), look at the holes I had to drill to balance it.

[Image: IMGP0476.jpg]

[Image: IMGP1124.jpg]
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
I didn't appreciate the size of that round stock until I saw the guy measuring the thickness!

Nice work Greg. What is the ?screw for in front of the column?
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Greg, is that a 1725 motor?

Disc sanders are a great shop tool, do a great job. Nice stand.
Thanks given by:
I was still building in the last photo, had thought about using that screw to raise and lower the table but left it out to save time. I don't adjust the height often but the table assembly is heavy.
Yep 1725 motor, the smaller disk at the back it the rear disk off a chev pickup, thinned down to work with a snow mobile disk caliper. It will coast for about 5 minutes without it, the small switch is for reversing the motor, you need to stop it first.
Greg
Thanks given by:
One of my grinders, like my Delta mitre saw, employs electric braking by dumping the power generated by the run windings into some kind of resistance. Really slows down the "coast to stop" time. But admittedly a truck disc brake would stop even faster. ( was gonna say "would slow faster" but that seemed a bit contradictory.) 17428
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Can you employ motor braking on an AC motor? My makita miter saw uses it too, but they're brushed motors. Inquiring minds need to know.
Greg
Thanks given by:
At work ( back in my days of employment) we had a dynamic brake installed on a drill press. It was a little more complex and fairly expensive but it was the same brushless AC motor that was originally on the DP.
My Busy Bee grinder isn't a brush motor and once the motor slows below what I figure is the speed the start/run centrifugal switch de-activates it changes sound and there is definitely a rapid deceleration. Maybe when the switch re-connects the start winding it has a braking action.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by: