Indexable insert face mills and shoulder mills
(07-02-2015, 09:18 AM)EdK Wrote: Ken,

Did you sell the face mill or is it still available? With my larger mill coming soon, I'd like to get a face mill to go along with the shoulder mill I got from you.

Ed

Ed,

I still have the 2-1/2" 6-insert Walter F2280.UB.064.Z06.03 face mill, uses a 3/4" arbor. I bought a Taiwanese made "GS Tooling" 3/4" R8 arbor for it, and will soon have a pack of ten Walter ODMT0504ZZN-D57 grade WSP45S inserts for it. I am getting the inserts in exchange for helping a friend get his new-to-him Tsugami CNC screw machine with Iemca magazine bar loader purchased, installed, set up and programmed.

I chose that holder because I know that brand is of exceptional quality, far better than the ones from Shars, Tools4Cheap or CDCO. I had bought one for the 2-1/2" 4-insert F4041 shoulder mill I got, and checking insert runout it was less than 0.0015" across them all. That's really good. I had bought a Chinese one off Shars a few years ago and it's runout is just over 0.004". Not good.

The octagonal inserts have 8 cutting edges, the grade is good for virtually all materials. The cutter has a 43º lead angle, 10º axial shear angle and approximately 10º radial hook angle. The inserts have a 10º positive top rake angle. All this means is that it's a very high positive, free cutting tool that you can use for all kinds of surfacing while using little spindle power. Maximum depth per pass is 3mm (0.1181".) I have cutters which use the larger 4mm d.o.c. inserts, but with only 2HP spindle I never exceed 0.075" depth. You'll be fine, and your inserts are 23.5% cheaper than mine.

Give me a few more days and it'll be ready for you. The cutter cost me an even $100. The holder was $65.21. That's what I'll sell for, inserts (worth $163.00) are my gift, as is the shipping. I priced a no-name cutter from those 3 sellers, they come in at between $120 and $180 for the cutter without holder or inserts and only 4 edges per insert. Much higher cost for much lower quality.

I'll post a photo with inserts in the tool as soon as I get them if you're interested.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Indexable insert face mills and shoulder mills - by PixMan - 07-02-2015, 02:16 PM