Machining a Piston from a Casting
Thanks for the reply ieezitin, I understand what you are saying (I think) but I cant exactly understand how it will help me.

I understand that the rough casting needs to be machined in the first instance to get a datum to reference from.  Once the crown and skirt have been cleaned up in the lathe then they will provide a reference to get the depth of the bosses from the bottom face of the skirt.

Also I can see that a jig will help to hold the piston without deforming it but will a mandrel locate the bosses to avoid the situation in the below picture when transferring from lathe to mill?  Also, the pistons are approx 3 1/2" in diameter, what would you make the mandrel out of bearing in mind I only need to do 2 pistons?  Do I need to buy some 4" stock?

The gudgeon pin will need boring on, I assume, a milling machine.

What I want to avoid is illustrated by this sketch.

[Image: Piston%20Hole.jpg]

The question is, when transferring to the milling machine what is the best way to index the bosses.  I should mention that a friend of mine has said I can use his Bridgeport (but it doesn’t have a DRO).

I did think about holding the crown in a rotary table held vertically on a surface plate and then getting the top of both bosses at the same height.  The issue with this is I don’t have a surface plate (yet).   Is there another way that I am not seeing that doesn’t need a surface plate?  (I am planning to get one eventually but its not at the top of my list yet.

Thanks,

John
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Machining a Piston from a Casting - by Zoot Suit - 06-11-2017, 02:52 AM
RE: Machining a Piston from a Casting - by Zoot Suit - 06-11-2017, 11:32 AM
RE: Machining a Piston from a Casting - by f350ca - 06-11-2017, 09:07 PM
RE: Machining a Piston from a Casting - by TomG - 06-13-2017, 09:38 AM