Another shaper to think about and a few questions
(08-29-2016, 02:24 AM)Pete O Wrote: but I'm wondering if that might be best avoided in a machine that has sat for so long? Would it be best to dismantle the slidey bits and clean and lubricate first?
The bloke has a forklift that could load the machine onto my trailer- I'm wondering if it would be realistic to unload with my engine crane?

One other machine for sale a little over 2 hours drive from me is a 18" Alba that appears to be in not as good shape- there are a couple of chunks out of the T-slots on the box table and it has been modified with the addition of a 4-speed truck gearbox with a flat belt drive. i suspect it will go cheap (which appeals to me) and the extra 6" of stroke can only be a good thing, but it would be a nightmare to unload at this end and seems more likely to need lots of work.

As to cleaning & lubing the slidey & rotating bits that should be done before you ever put power to it.  If you check out the 12" take the belt off the motor & see if it will move by hand.

The truck gear box may be an advantage giving you a larger range of strokes/min.

An engine hoist should handle the 12" with no problems.

The 18" of course is a horse of a different color.  Do you have a tilt bed trailer that has the capacity to haul it?  If so very very careful unloading via rollers & a come-a-long should work.

Another option would be renting a fork lift for a day.

If there is a equipment rental nearby see if they have something like this:

[Image: image?catId=024&classId=0140&width=180]
The bed lowers to the ground so one can load & off load heavy cargo much easier & safer.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Another shaper to think about and a few questions - by Dr Stan - 08-29-2016, 01:19 PM