The ubiquitous best hobby priced CAD program ..
(03-14-2012, 09:53 AM)Tony Wells Wrote: That's where the CAM part kicks in. You can draw or model your project, but to generate the code that CNC machines use to create the actual part, you need CAM to import the model file so tool paths can be generated. The control of the CNC machine reads the code to move and cut according to the model file parameters. Otherwise, the old-school way was to use a piece of software and a drawing to create the code. It can still be done that way, but some feature are pretty awkward to program manually. I don't know of a economy version of CAM right off my head. I have gotten away from CNC machining, and don't use it in my shop.

I think I understood the CAD -> CAM -> Controller -> Machine flow. Having developed software in many languages for 30 years the hand coded gcode process would probably not be a big issue … at least not the coding part … feeds, speeds, most efficient algorithms, best practices, etc. … would still be a learning experience but the brutal logical flow of it all would not be an issue.

But rather than start at the hand coded assembler language level of 30 years ago I prefer to go with the equivalent of a sophisticated Integrated Development Environment that a CAD – CAM – Controller – Machine scenario would offer … assuming it would not break the bank. Hence the questions related to “if I get xxx CAD will the information easily flow to yyy CAM, the next step in the chain”. What I am hearing in this thread is that any 2D CAD program will not capture nor export information that is suitable for any CAM program and therefore is not suitable for a future CNC endeavor.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: The ubiquitous best hobby priced CAD program .. - by arvidj - 03-14-2012, 06:45 PM