The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 864 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (FreeBSD)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 864 errorHandler->error

Dorian Victory QCTP
Ok so back a while ago, I was looking into the differences between the Vee Type QCTP also know as the Dickson, Dixon and even found reference to it as an Italian Tool Post although Dickson in England is usually credited with designing it. The Multifix, or 40 Position tool post and the Piston and Wedge styles made popular by Aloris and then cloned by just about everybody.

My Gosan 14x40 lathe, made in the same factory as the Colchester's in Taiwan, came with the Dickson with 4 holders. I needed more holders so debated over getting more or replacing the whole kit and kaboodle with a better QCTP.

I have not been 100% happy with the Dickson and have had holders come loose which can be a bit nerve racking to say the least.

In my yearning for a better mouse-trap so to speak, I came accross the Dorian Victory Through Cooolant set and ordered one from KBC Tools. Well over a year later and still no set, I noticed Paw Industrial had one on special, the V30TC which is the size I wanted, equivalent to a BXA or 200 series QCTP. It was just the QCTP with no holders, but at least it was a start. It arrived yesterday, and I set it up on the lathe. I have a few 201 holders from the BXA.

It locks firmly, matter of fact you can see the tool holder move down and in as you tighten the handle. The tool holders that I have all fit superbly.

I teed off the coolant just before the shut off valve on the coolant tube and added another shut off valve. I took some tubing and routed it under the DRO guard bracket and then added a swivel at the QCTP so that the tubing can be moved out of the way when needed.

It is nice to be able to aim coolant right where you are parting off or knurling. So those holders are now on the wish list.

So far I am a happy camper!

Walter
starlight_tools, proud to be a member of Metalworking Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Dorian Victory QCTP - by starlight_tools - 08-30-2012, 07:15 PM
RE: Dorian Victory QCTP - by EdK - 08-30-2012, 07:39 PM
RE: Dorian Victory QCTP - by starlight_tools - 08-30-2012, 08:08 PM
RE: Dorian Victory QCTP - by stevec - 08-31-2012, 06:57 AM
RE: Dorian Victory QCTP - by f350ca - 08-30-2012, 10:04 PM
RE: Dorian Victory QCTP - by starlight_tools - 08-30-2012, 10:30 PM
RE: Dorian Victory QCTP - by starlight_tools - 08-31-2012, 09:25 AM
RE: Dorian Victory QCTP - by PixMan - 09-01-2012, 01:25 PM
RE: Dorian Victory QCTP - by EdK - 09-01-2012, 08:10 PM