The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 864 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (FreeBSD)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 864 errorHandler->error

Help Can someone help me to re-gear my lathe?
Question 
Hi everyone, I have an old edgwick and theres a lot to love about it.  I run my own business and I use this lathe so much for making or modifying motorcycle parts.

There is only one thing I would change and thats the speed of the lead screw.  Even when I have it on its slowest setting, its still too fast.

I need help to do this because my knowledge of gears is a little sketchy.  Now the idler gear and the driven gear are the same size and the driver gear is real small be comparison.

These are the dimensions as I measure them:-
Driver - 50.6mm OD x 22T
Idler - 143.8 OD x 66T
Driven - 143.8 x 66T

I do totally understand that I will not buy a gear conversion kit for this lathe and I "think" I will need to move the pivot point of the idler gear, which is fine.

I'm not really understanding what "type / size" of gears I have here so I can seek out or have replacements made.  Everything will be imperial and that kind of adds another level of complexity for me!

I would really appreciate some help from whoever would like to dig into this conversion.

Thanks, Dan.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Can someone help me to re-gear my lathe? - by Dan Boy - 10-01-2023, 01:30 PM