The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 864 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (FreeBSD)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 864 errorHandler->error

Lathe tool
Somewhat cryptic title, so you guys can guess what it is!

The parts:

The ball bearing is magnetic, and it goes into the small rod on the left, followed by the bronze bushing.  There is another set in the end of the handle.

Have you guessed?  It's a self-powered sander.  By holding the mandrel (the yellow thing, below) against a spinning workpiece, it rotates, helping to eliminate sanding lines.  The mandrels (I have a set of 5) have Velcro on the face, allowing for different grits of sandpaper.  It takes just seconds to change it out, and the sanding discs are dirt cheap.  Putting the mandrel in the end of the handle allows for easy sanding of straight pieces, like pens.  Putting it in the adjustable head makes it easy to get inside bowls and the like.

Rockler sells something like this, and it's $90.  I wasn't about to pay that much, so I spent the entire day making one.  I actually made the handle several weeks ago, once I ordered the bushings, magnetic balls and mandrels online.  Thumbscrew was 3D printed while I made the other parts.
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Lathe tool - by rleete - 10-22-2022, 07:16 PM
RE: Lathe tool - by EdK - 10-22-2022, 07:55 PM
RE: Lathe tool - by Highpower - 10-22-2022, 08:29 PM
RE: Lathe tool - by rleete - 10-23-2022, 07:27 AM
RE: Lathe tool - by EdK - 10-23-2022, 10:23 AM
RE: Lathe tool - by rleete - 11-07-2022, 12:11 PM