New-to-me MTI Qualos surface grinder
Re-visiting this thread as I have spent a bit of time with the surface grinder this week.
Having looked at a few videos, I had been wanting to properly bed the chuck for a while, needed a break from some other stuff and decided to spend some time with it a couple of afternoons ago. I took the chuck off and ground the bed where the chuck sits- there was a fair bit of a bow in it as is evidenced by the photos earlier in this thread. having got the bed nice and flat, I mounted the chuck upside down and ground the underneath, with the magnet off. Took quite a few passes before I was contacting the entire surface, then a couple of super-fine cuts to get it properly flat.
The next afternoon I flipped the chuck over, dialed in the back edge, then ground the top of the chuck with the magnet turned on. When I was finally contacting the entire surface, I took a couple of 'spring' passes and after maybe 7 hours work I ended up with a beautiful finish and a mag chuck that I'm pretty confident would be flat within a couple of tenths all over.

I decided to grind a couple of parallels, got one side done and then the crossfeed screw stripped it's thread! Yikes Didn't even know it was on it's way out until it started to get a tight spot, then let go completely in the much-used middle section. So I spent a couple of hours this evening taking the grinder apart. Bash
It's a metric 3mm trapezoidal thread, I'm thinking it will probably be 8tpi ACME when it goes back together as I don't have the 127-tooth gear for my lathe.

Is there ever a time when doing one job does not create more work? Seems to always be the way.
Lathe (n); a machine tool used in the production of milling machine components.

Milling Machine (n); a machine tool used in the production of lathe components.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
New-to-me MTI Qualos surface grinder - by Pete O - 05-20-2017, 07:51 AM
RE: New-to-me MTI Qualos surface grinder - by EdK - 08-19-2017, 08:16 PM
RE: New-to-me MTI Qualos surface grinder - by Pete O - 10-01-2021, 05:05 AM