The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 864 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (FreeBSD)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 864 errorHandler->error

The black hole that swallows tools.
I know it's not just me.... or is it?   Chin 

My buddy Sean called me the other day and said he was having a problem and asked if I would do a little machining on his open class competition pistol. He was having a problem with the recoil spring guide rod hitting the muzzle compensator during recoil. There was a deep gouge in the end of the guide rod.

"Sure - no problem." (Famous last words...)

I went to grab a radiused or ball end carbide end mill out of my tool box - but can't find them. I searched several times in all the usual places I would store such items, and after a couple of hours I was still coming up empty.   17428
Then I started thinking maybe I dreamed up having such things (again), but found proof that I actually did purchase some not too long ago.  Carbide end mills

Knowing that my friend had a match coming up this weekend and needed to get this fixed NOW, I had to resort to the only ball end mill  I had available.... a 2 flute HSS cutter made in China. Well you can guess how well that went on a stainless steel part.   Bash
I did manage to get the clearance flute widened enough to clear the rod but it wasn't pretty. Lot's of touch up with a Foredom grinder and it looks OK now. That evening I ordered another small set of carbide ball end mills from McMaster.   Slaphead "SGS" brand cutters. Are they any good?  

So I don't have a clue where that black hole lives that eats up my tools, but I do know it also has a box full of spare parts for my Foredom tools and an excellent hand impact driver that I've owned since I was 13 years old. I bought it at Patterson Honda (long gone now) to work on my first motorcycle. Those are just the ones I KNOW about right now.   Bawling
Willie
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
The black hole that swallows tools. - by Highpower - 09-26-2015, 07:49 AM
RE: The black hole that swallows tools. - by EdK - 09-26-2015, 08:33 AM
RE: The black hole that swallows tools. - by EdK - 09-26-2015, 10:29 AM
RE: The black hole that swallows tools. - by EdK - 09-26-2015, 01:08 PM
RE: The black hole that swallows tools. - by EdK - 09-26-2015, 08:08 PM
RE: The black hole that swallows tools. - by texx - 09-27-2015, 04:25 PM
RE: The black hole that swallows tools. - by EdK - 09-29-2015, 05:25 AM
RE: The black hole that swallows tools. - by EdK - 10-01-2015, 03:51 PM
RE: The black hole that swallows tools. - by EdK - 10-05-2015, 06:06 AM