The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 864 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (FreeBSD)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 864 errorHandler->error

Help - Machining slim rod on the lathe
Hello guys,

I've not been doing much for several months now. With the market quieten down, I may be back in the shop more often.

Recently, a foreign student doing his PhD in Singapore approached me to help him with some small parts for a micromouse. The initial parts are rather simple; enlarging a couple of gear hubs and turning down small sections of a steel pin that act as wheel shaft he bought off the shelves. Due to some amendments in his drawings, he is asking if I can help him to fabricate the shaft according to the new requirements.

This is how it supposed to look like:

[Image: MouseShaft_zpsd355c4f8.jpg]

The ideal metal to use would probably be stainless but I'm testing with aluminium at the moment.

Ok, after boring you folks with the background: how should I go about turning this? I would be starting with probably a 100mm long piece. From my past experience doing a similar job which I didn't quite complete, the stock would flex like crazy, even between centers. I tried using the follower rest but don't know how to go about with 2nd and subsequent passes.

Appreciate any sharing of how you would approach this.

Have a blessed day.

Regards,
Wongster
Wongster
http://www.wongstersproduction.com

Proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Mar 2012.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Help - Machining slim rod on the lathe - by Wongster - 03-14-2013, 05:58 AM