Dad's surface grinder
(01-04-2013, 06:25 PM)TomG Wrote: Nice grinder Ken. I am seriously in need one and have been scouring Craig's List lately. One of these days...

Out of curiosity, why is the wheel on the right so low? Or is it just the pic. I'm sure it's the table wheel crank, but it seems to be optimized for midgets.

Tom

Tom,

It is a little lower than the others, the wide angle lens on the camera I used makes it look worse than it really is. Both my dad & I are more accustomed to having the elevation wheel on the top right hand side of the column. That's where the elevation wheel/handle is on a great many surface grinders, such as Boyar, Reid, the small manual Brown & Sharpe, and more. The handle on that one doesn't have a fine-feed wheel on it, but does have a Vernier scale to help with creeping down a "tenth" at a time.

Here's a straight-on photo that has a little bit better perspective:
[Image: IMG_1168-r.jpg]

I'll get over there this weekend and get an even better photo.

BTW, if you look at the upper left section of the control panel, you'll notice there's an empty spot there with a graphic for "electromagnet". I plan on getting a Kanetsu 6x14 electric magnetic chuck one of these days, and I'll put the control knob and switch right there. I may also add a DRO to it, depending upon for which I find a great deal first. The permanent mag chuck still has very good grip so it's not critical.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Dad's surface grinder - by PixMan - 01-04-2013, 04:25 PM
RE: Dad's surface grinder - by EdK - 01-04-2013, 05:07 PM
RE: Dad's surface grinder - by TomG - 01-04-2013, 06:25 PM
RE: Dad's surface grinder - by Mayhem - 01-04-2013, 06:55 PM
RE: Dad's surface grinder - by stevec - 01-04-2013, 07:50 PM
RE: Dad's surface grinder - by PixMan - 01-04-2013, 08:15 PM
RE: Dad's surface grinder - by PixMan - 01-04-2013, 08:34 PM
RE: Dad's surface grinder - by sasquatch - 01-04-2013, 08:48 PM