Essential measuring tools for the home shop
(08-30-2012, 01:27 PM)DanH Wrote: Quote
Darren, I noticed that you mentioned getting a set of telescoping gauges. Those are definitely cheaper than a set of inside micrometers, until you add the set of outside micrometers required to use them. It's extremely difficult to measure a telescoping gauge with calipers and I wouldn't recommend it. A companion tool to go with the "T" gauges is a set of small hole gauges. I like the ones that have a flat end so you can measure shallow holes with them.

Tom,

I just bought a set of starrett telescoping gauges and used them to measure a hole I was boring on the lathe. I did use my calipers to measure the "T" gauge (I have outside mics but didn't use them) and wonder what the downfall is in this technique. I was enlarging the hole in a small pulley from 1/2" to 5/8". The previous pulley i modified I had to use my caliper which was very difficult to do and resulted in my purchase of the "T" gauge.

Dan

Dan,

The spindle and anvil of the micrometer has larger surfaces to measure against than a caliper so it's easier to feel the ends of the telescoping gauge between them. Also, since the spindle of the mic is threaded, it won't move as you rock the telescoping gauge across it. Can you use a pair of calipers to measure a T gauge in a pinch? Yup, but you'll get more predictable results if you use a micrometer.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Essential measuring tools for the home shop - by TomG - 08-30-2012, 01:47 PM