The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 864 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (FreeBSD)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 864 errorHandler->error

Need Advice
I have a Seig mini lathe (mine is Homier brand) in the 7x14 size.  I have several chucks, including a 3 jaw (4") and a 5C collet holder.  I like using both, but swapping between them is such a pain in the neck that I often go on to other tasks rather than change out the chuck or make do with what is already on the machine.

I recently discovered that there exists a clever solution, in the form of a 5C collet that is incorporated with an adapter for 3 jaw chucks.  In fact, LMS sells them:

Mount, 5C for 3-Jaw Lathe Chucks, 4" 5479 - LittleMachineShop.com

Now my question is this: is it too much mass hanging off the end of the spindle nose?  I already push this machine's limits at times, so I don't want to get to the point where I need to replace spindle bearings (or more) because I have this big lump hanging out over the bed.

I am not concerned with bed length, as I have never made a part that comes close to that length.  I am only worried about so much mass so far away from the spindle nose.  Anyone else use one of these?  Any issues?
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Need Advice - by rleete - 07-30-2024, 01:25 PM
RE: Need Advice - by rleete - 07-30-2024, 03:53 PM
RE: Need Advice - by rubes - 07-30-2024, 04:51 PM
RE: Need Advice - by rleete - 07-30-2024, 05:43 PM
RE: Need Advice - by rubes - 07-30-2024, 08:59 PM
RE: Need Advice - by rubes - 07-31-2024, 09:02 AM