belts /speeds
I'm not an old hand with belt grinders but my single-speed 4" belt- made for metal work- burns wood unless one is extremely gentle. I have always been of the understanding that this is because the belt speed is way too fast for wood. One of the projects that has been on my list for a long time is a variable-speed belt grinder / sander run via VFD.

Ron, changing the pulley size will indeed change belt speed because the belt is moved by the circumference of the pulley- thus a drive pulley with a 12" circumference will move a belt 12" per revolution, which if coupled to a driven pulley with a 6" circumference will make that pulley turn twice to move the circumference that same 12".
If you are able to find out an ideal grinder belt speed in feet per minute (someone on here will probably know, if not, Mr Google almost certainly will) then it is a matter of working out the ratios of your drive train in relation to your motor RPM, to get the required speed at the surface (i.e the circumference) of the drum that drives your belt.
If you find yourself struggling with this, I'm sure you could get some help here to work out what pulleys you need. The info needed would be (A) the motor RPM, (B) the size of the drum or wheel on the grinder, and © the required belt speed.

The RPM of your motor will be on the name plate, along with the voltage, horsepower etc. If this is missing or unreadable, I have a dial RPM gauge that you could borrow for the cost of return postage if you like.

Pete
Lathe (n); a machine tool used in the production of milling machine components.

Milling Machine (n); a machine tool used in the production of lathe components.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
belts /speeds - by oldskoolron - 08-31-2016, 09:14 PM
RE: belts /speeds - by Dr Stan - 08-31-2016, 10:59 PM
RE: belts /speeds - by TomG - 09-01-2016, 10:58 PM
RE: belts /speeds - by oldskoolron - 09-02-2016, 04:21 AM
RE: belts /speeds - by pepi - 09-02-2016, 08:02 AM
RE: belts /speeds - by Dr Stan - 09-02-2016, 04:15 PM
RE: belts /speeds - by pepi - 09-02-2016, 10:35 PM
RE: belts /speeds - by Pete O - 09-03-2016, 12:29 AM
RE: belts /speeds - by the penguin - 09-03-2016, 09:56 AM
RE: belts /speeds - by oldskoolron - 09-03-2016, 05:39 PM