Help How to bend thin stainless
A slip roller would make short work of this, but the radius is way too small for that, unless there's something out there that I missed.

No, this is not a wet environment. I was hoping to stay with corrosion free parts for longevity. Maybe I'll explore some 304 as well, but it's probably going to be only a little easier than the 316.

Now, the two halves idea. That may work, and might even work with my existing mandrel pliers. I cut my cones out of a sheet using a template made from solidworks, and it's very accurate.

Now you also have me thinking about the rubber mallet idea. If I have a male form of the proper bending radius, and use a rubber mallet that will conform to the form, then the resulting sheet should come out to the proper final curve. I'll Google this, but where does one find information on a bend radius required to get a desired radius?

Okay. I found a calculator, and am a little surprised by the results. My experience is that this material is springier than the calculations show. Assume a cone, 5mm on one end, and 10mm on the other, and only making a 90 degree bend:
final radius initial radius bend angle
5mm 4.7mm 96
10mm 8.8mm 101
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
How to bend thin stainless - by brianmichalk - 08-02-2015, 12:50 PM
RE: How to bend thin stainless - by Roadracer_Al - 08-02-2015, 01:11 PM
RE: How to bend thin stainless - by brianmichalk - 08-02-2015, 02:13 PM
RE: How to bend thin stainless - by Roadracer_Al - 08-03-2015, 12:37 AM
RE: How to bend thin stainless - by oldgoaly - 08-04-2015, 03:03 PM