Help Coolant for the home hobbiest
I'm using Trico's Tri-Cool TC-1, a full synthetic coolant in my lathe. It's been in there for 6 YEARS and there's just two things I do to keep it fresh. One, I check the level and concentration (refractometer reading) about once a month because I do get evaporation of the water and concentration rises. The second thing I do about twice a year is use a hydrophilic pad to suck tramp way oil off the top of the mix. That keeps the oil from sealing off oxygen to the supply. When that happens, bacteria can fester and cause the rancid smell.

I had gotten two quarts of the TC-1 off eBay for short money years ago, but have since bought a 1 gallon jug from KBC Tools and that lasts a LONG time. Great stuff, I'll probably charge my bandsaw with a more concentrated mix when I ever get a Roundtuit.

BTW, there are a number of features you look at when choosing a coolant. Tramp oil rejection is a big part of successful use of full synthetic and especially, semi-synthetic coolants. Another is lubricity. A full synthetic is never quite and good in that respect as a semi-synthetic (which uses oils and emulsifiers to keep it homogenized with water.) In my applications, because I primarily use carbide insert turning tools and HSS drills I don't need lubricity as much as I need actual cooling, chip flow and low maintenance so full synthetic makes more sense.

A straight oil can be far more expensive overall and messy, not to mention more volatile at the cutting speeds I tend to run. My full synthetic can also be thinned to use in my mist coolant on the mill, though I've yet to bother charging the tank and try it. Thinning it out is something not so easy with semi-synthetic or straight oils.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Coolant for the home hobbiest - by arvidj - 11-12-2014, 09:39 AM
RE: Coolant for the home hobbiest - by Dr Stan - 11-12-2014, 09:56 AM
RE: Coolant for the home hobbiest - by PixMan - 11-12-2014, 10:31 AM
RE: Coolant for the home hobbiest - by arvidj - 11-12-2014, 11:17 AM
RE: Coolant for the home hobbiest - by PixMan - 11-12-2014, 12:18 PM
RE: Coolant for the home hobbiest - by arvidj - 11-12-2014, 03:10 PM
RE: Coolant for the home hobbiest - by PixMan - 11-12-2014, 03:54 PM
RE: Coolant for the home hobbiest - by wrustle - 11-12-2014, 04:49 PM
RE: Coolant for the home hobbiest - by EdK - 11-12-2014, 07:40 PM
RE: Coolant for the home hobbiest - by wrustle - 11-12-2014, 08:43 PM