Foundry sand working machines Mullers
Graham
I'll get you the details after it cools down some, 99 degree here that is in the shade!
I bought a few cases of Texaco two stroke oil for using in my chainsaw, weed wackers, and a Villier's motor or two in a few old British lightweights! I grew up in a town called Belleville, Illinois there were 20 foundries at least maybe one or 2 left? They use oil-boded sand and it is black! in fact I think it works better when aged! My experience with new sand is from the local Jr College sand casting class about 15 years of going. every 2-3 years they would swap the old sand out for new, (I would get some of the used sand each time) Basically we would mix up "ovaline" brand sand, box of petro-bond "dirt" and a small amount of PB oil. Remember we are limited by our mixer! which there was drywaller's mud mixer ( paddle type mixer) so we are making 100 lbs at a time There is a activator for PB, I've been told it is a alcohol based product. Jim Barnes got it online? he gave it to me when he moved, he is a local guy, We tried many times to have monthly casting days even yearly get togethers but stuff happens!
My green sand experience is more limited, but the only real difference is water evaporates and is boiled off easier than oil, the size of the grains of sand is going to play a bigger part of your parts finish than oil or water do.
One other thing I have noticed, I now have all my sand in metal or metal lined containers, it has not dried out as fast!
oldgoaly, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jun 2013.
Thanks given by: the artfull-codger

Messages In This Thread
RE: Foundry sand working machines Mullers - by oldgoaly - 08-31-2013, 03:51 PM