basic lathe tooling questions for new lathe
(04-05-2012, 07:35 PM)stevec Wrote:
(04-03-2012, 04:04 PM)doubleboost Wrote:
(04-03-2012, 02:46 PM)DaveH Wrote: Hello Bob and welcome to MetalworkingFun Welcome

My answer to Q1. I doubt if any noticeable difference in the home workshop.

My answer to Q2 & Q3. Again probably no noticeable difference, go with the most cost effective.

Questions 4 & 5 I will have to think about them Smile

Hang about Bob, others may have a different opinion Smile
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

Hi
Bob
Unless you are pushing things to the limit you will not notice any differance with the smaller tool size
I use a piston type tool holder and i am very happy with it
As far as parting tools go this is what i use
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GLANZE-CLAMP-T...46021476e0
I use the cheapest tips i can find
Mu previous lathe was fairly large (colchester Bantam).
My current lathe is much smaller so i modified my large tooling to fit , by milling a dove tail in them .
They go directly on to the tool post without a holder.
[Image: PC240123-1.jpg]
[Image: PC240125.jpg]
[Image: PC240138-1.jpg]
As far as tips go i would just use the most economical
There are loads of speed & feed charts on the net.
But for home work i would just experiment.
Dont forget carbide inserts like to be worked hard
John
John, I love the idea of dovetailing toolholders to fit a QCTP, but, one question, Is that a high speed steel dovetail cutter dovetailing your toolholder?
If yes, then let's revisit the newbie's (OP's) immediate (apparently) leaning toward carbide.
Properly ground HSS does a better job in many cases. it's part of the learning curve.

It is a high speed steel cutter (the tool holders have been annealed) but are still tough
John
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
basic lathe tooling questions for new lathe - by candiamel - 04-03-2012, 01:54 PM
RE: basic lathe tooling questions for new lathe - by doubleboost - 04-07-2012, 04:44 PM
RE: basic lathe tooling questions for new lathe - by candiamel - 04-06-2012, 08:47 PM