basic lathe tooling questions for new lathe
Depending upon the size and HP of your lathe, you may or may not see a difference in performance of 5/8" or 3/4" shank tooling. It would take 5HP or more to see the difference as you cut, other than that the 3/4" by nature has better vibration damping qualities because there's just no substitute for mass.

I see you're in NH, so don't bother going looking specifically for a Glanze parting tool holder here. I can help you with tools selection and sourcing as I'm local to you and know some great sources for new, used and cheap tooling. Mayhem has been shopping here with me and can attest to that.

What lathe do you have and what the heck are "TT" inserts? I'm in carbide insert tooling as part of my livelihood, and that's a proprietary designation if ever I heard one. In the lathe tools, there's no need to go proprietary in anything other than parting off.

John is showing a triangular negative rake toolholder and insert in his photos above. That TNMG332 insert can use up some HP if pushed. The fairly wide GTN parting insert shown is fairly common, but there are other styles available that could be thinner and require less HP.

Give me some more info and I can help you more. Pictures always help.

Ken
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
basic lathe tooling questions for new lathe - by candiamel - 04-03-2012, 01:54 PM
RE: basic lathe tooling questions for new lathe - by PixMan - 04-05-2012, 06:44 PM
RE: basic lathe tooling questions for new lathe - by candiamel - 04-06-2012, 08:47 PM