Essential measuring tools for the home shop
Since we are talking about small hole measurement AND posting pics (I love pics), I may as well point out the ultimate in small hole measurement, the dial bore gauge. This thing is like a set of small hole gauges on steroids. To use it, you select the proper head size for the hole you want to measure and calibrate it with a micrometer or a ring gauge, which is sort of like a female version of the micrometer standard. The dial is then offset so it reads zero when the bore you are measuring reaches the desired size. It will read the diameter of the hole being measured directly to .0001" and has a plus/minus .025" range.

I bought this set for a job I did a while back and due to it's cost, I don't think it would be appropriate for the hobby machine shop. As you can see, I've only used it a few times and most of the heads remain in their original wrappers. A set of small hole gauges and pin gauges will do just fine.

Tom

[Image: 004_1.JPG]
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Essential measuring tools for the home shop - by TomG - 08-31-2012, 10:14 AM