Todays Project - What did you do today?
So I made my first part today in the new shop. Somehow during the move, I managed to lose half of one of the heavy duty hinges for the double doors and rather than buying another pair for the missing half, I opted to make one. It was a good exercise because it involved turning, milling, and welding, and let me know what things were still missing in the shop. There was a belt missing on the bandsaw, so I had to cut the plate out with the mill, the 82° countersinks are still packed away somewhere, and I had no welding gloves. Other than that, things went smoothly.

Tom

[Image: 20230324_121939.jpg]

[Image: 20230324_123215.jpg]
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
I look forward to when you get your new shop completely set up. Drool

Ed
Thanks given by:
(03-24-2023, 10:25 PM)EdK Wrote: I look forward to when you get your new shop completely set up.  Drool

Ed

Me too, Ed. Me too. Happyyes

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Finished the t-nuts today. First time trying cold blueing. It came out OK.

Ed

Thanks given by:
(03-25-2023, 04:43 PM)EdK Wrote: Finished the t-nuts today. First time trying cold blueing. It came out OK.

Ed

Smiley-signs107

So how did they measure up against the DRO?
Willie
Thanks given by:
(03-25-2023, 06:40 PM)Highpower Wrote: So how did they measure up against the DRO?

Not very well. This was not a good candidate for measuring against the DRO because slotting between the holes with a .375" end mill doesn't produce a .375" slot.
But it sure worked slick for locating the holes and adding all of the features to them. I've got plenty of projects that'll help me test out the DRO.

Ed
Thanks given by:
I got my adapter plate machined and mounted the 5C collet chuck. I'd post a picture, but my lathe is an absolute mess, and I don't want to give Ed a heart attack.

I also got my new 4" 3-jaw cleaned, lubed and reassembled. Much better than the old 3". Tighter tolerances, nicer finish and smoother operation.
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by:
(03-31-2023, 04:11 PM)rleete Wrote: my lathe is an absolute mess, and I don't want to give Ed a heart attack.

So is mine along with the bench it's mounted on.  Yikes

Ed

Thanks given by:
(03-31-2023, 04:11 PM)rleete Wrote: I also got my new 4" 3-jaw cleaned, lubed and reassembled. Much better than the old 3". Tighter tolerances, nicer finish and smoother operation.

Where did you buy it from?

Ed
Thanks given by:
eBay. Although the ad said 3 days shipping (from NJ), it actually took 13 days and came from CA. Box was destroyed (and retaped), inside Styrofoam was just crumbs. It suffered some deep scratches in the body from the second set of jaws, which I stoned flat.

But it was $50 shipped, so I guess I can't complain too much.
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by: EdK