Latest Delivery
Just arrived for a future lathe project.

Ed

Thanks given by:
(08-09-2024, 09:23 AM)EdK Wrote: Just arrived for a future lathe project.

Ed

I'll bet that was pricey huh?
Willie
Thanks given by:
What are you making that you need such a coarse thread?  You can't just post a pic like that and leave us hanging.

Edit: I see now that it's acme, not sure if that's coarse thread or not.  But you still gotta tell us what it's for.
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by:
Im guessing a new nut for the cross slide or carriage on his Lathe?
Bronze or Delrin??
Retired old guy finally living the dream and enjoying life to the fullest!!!
Thanks given by:
(08-09-2024, 01:23 PM)Highpower Wrote:
(08-09-2024, 09:23 AM)EdK Wrote: Just arrived for a future lathe project.

Ed

I'll bet that was pricey huh?

Not too bad at $20.49. But pricey for the one time I'll probably use it. Chin

Ed
Thanks given by:
(08-09-2024, 03:49 PM)rubes Wrote: Im guessing a new nut for the cross slide or carriage on his Lathe?
Bronze or Delrin??

Yup, going to make a new cross slide screw & nut. The acme threads will be much stronger than the tiny V-threads on the stock screw & nut.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(08-09-2024, 04:50 PM)EdK Wrote: Yup, going to make a new cross slide screw & nut. The acme threads will be much stronger than the tiny V-threads on the stock screw & nut.

Ed

You going to make a new graduated dial too or just going to wing it?
Willie
Thanks given by:
(08-10-2024, 01:32 AM)Highpower Wrote:
(08-09-2024, 04:50 PM)EdK Wrote: Yup, going to make a new cross slide screw & nut. The acme threads will be much stronger than the tiny V-threads on the stock screw & nut.

Ed

You going to make a new graduated dial too or just going to wing it?

Yup, new dial. One revolution will give me .100" vs the current 0.0394". I may rethink this and go with an acme 3/8-16 thread which will give me .0625" per revolution. Since i bought the tap from Amazon I have some time to return it if necessary.

Ed

EDIT: correction to the current travel per revolution. My dial reads the amount of material removed radially, not the diameter.
Thanks given by:
(08-09-2024, 04:50 PM)EdK Wrote:
(08-09-2024, 03:49 PM)rubes Wrote: Im guessing a new nut for the cross slide or carriage on his Lathe?
Bronze or Delrin??

Yup, going to make a new cross slide screw & nut. The acme threads will be much stronger than the tiny V-threads on the stock screw & nut.

Ed

Huh.  I had to check, but mine (Homier brand Seig) looks like an Acme thread.  It's metric, so it's pretty small, but the crests and roots look square to me.   I just wish it was SAE to avoid all the weird gearing to get it close.

I find it hard to believe, with all the poor press about the cheaper lathes and mills that someone can't make small, rigid machines for the US market.
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by:
(08-11-2024, 12:08 AM)rleete Wrote: I find it hard to believe, with all the poor press about the cheaper lathes and mills that someone can't make small, rigid machines for the US market.

They used to. The 8x16s where much beefier than the 7x mini lathes.

Ed
Thanks given by: