Latest Delivery
(06-01-2024, 07:45 PM)Highpower Wrote:
(06-01-2024, 01:36 PM)EdK Wrote:
(06-01-2024, 12:23 PM)Highpower Wrote: I can't have that old wooden block looking like that. I'll sand and oil it.

Ed

I bought my set too late and they came in a red plastic block instead of the wood block.  Sad

That's weird. I highlighted Roger's statement to quote and it said you were the author. 17428

Ed
Thanks given by:
(06-01-2024, 12:35 PM)rleete Wrote: I can't have that old wooden block looking like that. I'll sand and oil it.

This is what should have posted. Bash

Ed
Thanks given by:
(06-01-2024, 01:36 PM)EdK Wrote: That's weird. I highlighted Rogers statement to quote and it said you were the author.  17428

Ed

Must have been those recent solar storms or just a good old fashioned full moon.  Big Grin
Willie
Thanks given by:
Yeah, I just figured you accidently did a multi quote.  Anyway, it's been sanded down and coated with Danish oil.  Still doesn't look new, but it's better than it was.

Naturally, since I just bought that, another one in nearly new condition popped up.   Pcwhack
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by:
Well, it's not much, but no one is posting, so here goes.

First up we have a set of surprisingly-hard-to-find-for-a-decent-price lathe tool holders.  These popped up in my FB marketplace feed for an astonishingly low price.  Most sellers on eBay want $25 and up for a pair.  This guy had 5 for $33, and free shipping to boot.  Obviously chinese, but so is the rest of the lathe and most of the tooling.

Next up is a tool I have been wanting to get for a long time.  They go for silly money used, even with names engraved on the working face and well worn.  They cost upwards of 100 bucks new, and I'm way too cheap for that.  This also popped up on FB marketplace, and after a brief back and forth, I convinced the guy to part with Grandpa's tool at a more reasonable price.  He was asking 60, but I offered 40 and we split the difference.  Here it is, as received:

And after a bit of cleanup, it's looking better.  Not sure what the blue is, but with a little alcohol and a fingernail, it scraped right off.  Cleaned with an old toothbrush and WD-40, and it will be a proud addition to my growing collection of Starrett tools.

Thanks given by:
The blue kinda looks like Dykem. Good score!!!
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
Dykem usually washes off with alcohol, but this didn't. I think it was lacquer. At any rate, it came off without damaging the paint, so I am happy.
Thanks given by:
Those small squares are handy indeed. I've got a couple of 2-1/2" die makers squares that are priceless to me.
Willie
Thanks given by:
(07-17-2024, 12:15 PM)rleete Wrote: Dykem usually washes off with alcohol, but this didn't.  I think it was lacquer.  At any rate, it came off without damaging the paint, so I am happy.

Acetone is the correct solvent for layout dye.
Thanks given by:
I have a can of the 'official' stuff and it looks to be a mixture of Acetone and Alcohol.

.pdf   Dykem Layout Fluid Remover casDykLayRem SDS 2.pdf (Size: 23.63 KB / Downloads: 5)
Willie
Thanks given by: