Latest Delivery
Like most of us, I usually use the same few taps and drills for all my projects.  Drills I can sharpen, but I've never had much luck trying to resharpen a tap.  As a result, I was looking to replace my most used sizes, and came across this on eBay:

Includes a cheap tap wrench, which I will probably never use, but it has the sizes I need.  We shall see if they are any good when I'm back on my feet.
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by:
(01-24-2024, 06:10 PM)rleete Wrote: Like most of us, I usually use the same few taps and drills for all my projects.  Drills I can sharpen, but I've never had much luck trying to resharpen a tap.  As a result, I was looking to replace my most used sizes, and came across this on eBay:

Includes a cheap tap wrench, which I will probably never use, but it has the sizes I need.  We shall see if they are any good when I'm back on my feet.

Are those taps HSS or carbon steel?

Ed
Thanks given by:
Apparently, high carbon steel.
Thanks given by: EdK
Got an Amazon order delayed, then cancelled.  Package damaged, they said.  My office mate, who has Prime, offered to get the parts for me, and drop shipped them to my door.  

Stock picture, because it's just too much walking to go downstairs to take the picture.

I've had the knurling tool for quite a long time, but I only ever had fine diamond knurls.  Now I can make coarser ones, plus straight, which is great for small thumbscrews.
Thanks given by:
Just got this delivered:

I have a very small part that I need to duplicate, and I needed a way to hold it while cutting the profile.  Nothing I had would quite do the trick.  Less than $9, and I was quite surprised at the quality of it.  Finish is perfect, handle is tight and the clamp screw turns smoothly.  So far it has done what I expected, and hopefully keeps my fingers from contacting the cutting surfaces.
Thanks given by:
I was pleasantly surprised to learn that the tap set shown above is high quality HSS. Sharp, cut cleanly and sized correctly. I would recommend this set.
Thanks given by:
Got these today.  Purchased from Amazon, for less than $13, including shipping. 40 to 600 grit, and a cheap vinyl storage pouch.

I have a set of X-acto needle files I bought as a kid (for model building), and they were one of my prized possessions.  But they are really only for plastic, and maybe some softer metals.  As a result, they don't get used very often these days.

These cut pretty well (hard stainless) and leave a decent finish.  My only concern will be how they hold up.  If I get through this one part, they will be worth it.
Thanks given by:
Need to do some re-arranging around here. I'd been using an old dresser for tool storage under the electronics bench and that just wasn't working out. So, since there's a brand new, shiny, harbor freight right around the corner and they had a 20% off for ITC members with no exclusions, I went and picked up one of these, unfortunately they only had white in stock.

[Image: newbox1.jpg]

The top drawer is perfect for my larger mics

[Image: newbox2.jpg]

I'll be moving the radial arm saw, vise and machinist box to this and taking the old one and putting it where the (soon to be gone) dresser is now. The saw and stuff are going to be moving benchtop and all to this one. I don't really want to mount that stuff to this top anyway. I also bought an oscillating spindle sander but it's outta reach so I'll get a pic of that later. I used the CNC to make some book buddies and needed that sander for the hole. Pics of them later too.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
(05-25-2024, 12:20 PM)rleete Wrote: Got these today.  Purchased from Amazon, for less than $13, including shipping.  40 to 600 grit, and a cheap vinyl storage pouch.

These cut pretty well (hard stainless) and leave a decent finish.  My only concern will be how they hold up.  If I get through this one part, they will be worth it.

Are those diamond coated?

Ed
Thanks given by:
(05-25-2024, 05:52 PM)Vinny Wrote: Need to do some re-arranging around here.  I'd been using an old dresser for tool storage under the electronics bench and that just wasn't working out.  So, since there's a brand new, shiny, harbor freight right around the corner and they had a 20% off for ITC members with no exclusions, I went and picked up one of these, unfortunately they only had white in stock.

[Image: newbox1.jpg]

The top drawer is perfect for my larger mics

[Image: newbox2.jpg]

Nice!  Drool

Ed
Thanks given by: