MetalworkingFun Forum
Latest Delivery - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Metalworking Discussion (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Latest Delivery (/thread-873.html)

RE: Latest Delivery - Dr Stan - 04-09-2016

(04-09-2016, 12:04 PM)RobWilson. Wrote:
Quote:Rob Wilson

Starrett was made in China  [Image: biggrin.gif]   

L.S . Starrett , the founder of Starrett Tools  was  Born  1836,   China , Maine , USA    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I will get my coat  Rotfl

Rob 

Good one Rob.

RE: Latest Delivery - pepi - 04-09-2016

(04-07-2016, 01:31 PM)the penguin Wrote:
(04-07-2016, 08:25 AM)Sunset Machine Wrote: The black eye comes from their bad products though. They stain themselves by doing that. We're keen on brand names here - "Chinese" has become a brand name known for junk. Not a very smart move, really.

again, as they don't market anything here, they sell exactly what they are told, by American companies, to make and at what price point. The general public wants cheap, so they get cheap. If we stop buying cheap crap, then they would have make better stuff, but the general public is happy with the current status quo, a $100 will still get you a full shopping cart a Wal-Mart. As the American companies are making lots of money, they feel no need to change their current policy, so those who do care about quality, suffer.

I can blame the Chinese for lots of stuff, but selling cheap stuff here, isn't one of them, they are send over here exactly what they are asked to ship over.

Hear, Hear that is exactly the problem, US customers.  Worthy

Things cost money and good things cost more money. Buy a VW do not complain if it does not ride like a Cadillac

RE: Latest Delivery - Dr Stan - 04-09-2016

(04-09-2016, 09:40 PM)pepi Wrote: Hear, Hear that is exactly the problem, US customers.  Worthy

Things cost money and good things cost more money. Buy a VW do not complain if it does not ride like a Cadillac

Here, here now.  I traded in my Seville with a Northstar engine for my Jetta TDI and it goes like a scaled cat, just like the Caddy.  I will not say the ride is a good, that would be ridiculous, but the handling is superior and the ride is surprising good.  The Caddy was the best road car I ever owned, but I'd be willing to jump in the Jetta and head across the lower 48.

RE: Latest Delivery - Vinny - 04-10-2016

What's bad about a Caddy is the people that drive them. They don't realize they're in the left lane doing 10+ MPH UNDER the speed limit.

RE: Latest Delivery - pepi - 04-10-2016

(04-10-2016, 12:46 AM)Vinny Wrote: What's bad about a Caddy is the people that drive them.  They don't realize they're in the left lane doing 10+ MPH UNDER the speed limit.

I am surprised, didn't know that Cadillac produced so many different models...

VW, Cadillac both on the same playing field, that's about as funny as it gets.  Rotfl  Some ride a camel and think that's a great way to travel.

RE: Latest Delivery - Sunset Machine - 04-10-2016

(04-09-2016, 09:40 PM)pepi Wrote: Hear, Hear that is exactly the problem, US customers.  Worthy

I bought a Chinese VW and it didn't even make it out to the road. Now somehow that's my fault? The logic behind that is flawed.

RE: Latest Delivery - EdK - 04-10-2016

OK, let's drop the auto and Chinese subject and stick to the subject of this thread please.

Ed

Sorry Ed. Here are some positives. The calipers from Starrett run $1200, but from Shars only a mere $80 and they meet every expectation. Same for the $90 height gage and $35 magnet. I forgot to include the $50 3-jaw chuck with only .001" runnout.. Wonderful stuff for a shop that makes no profit.

These are good tools from China. You get it, open the box and are pleased with the contents and price. It's a good purchase. This is what we expect as consumers, rather than having the thing fall apart in your hands the first time it's used.

[attachment=13108]

RE: Latest Delivery - Highpower - 04-10-2016

[attachment=13109]

Maybe I should add: One aw-heck wipes out a dozen ata-boys.
What are ya getting at Willie?