MetalworkingFun Forum
Latest Delivery - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Metalworking Discussion (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Latest Delivery (/thread-873.html)

RE: Latest Delivery - Sunset Machine - 03-11-2016

I see what Pixman meant by a pocket - these just sit on a ledge. There's no side support at all on the 60 point. Some flycutter bit. <grumble>

RE: Latest Delivery - Highpower - 03-11-2016

I've gone indicator crazy lately.   Blush

[attachment=12959]

Couple of weeks ago I bought a couple of Mitutoyo DTI's on a one-day 30% off sale. (Standard and long stylus's.)
Yesterday I got these as well. The two Teclock's are for a "spindle square" that I am going to make - "just because". Reviews of the import jobs (SPI, Edge Technology) are pretty poor due to the quality of the gauges (Chinese I assume) and the Starrett version doesn't seem to fair much better. My late FIL gave me a couple of older Teclocks when he retired and I've found them to be really nice, smooth gauges. Made in Japan.

The Mitutoyo gauge will be a replacement for my Central Tools bore gauge which has been a PITA since the day I bought it off of the Snap-On truck decades ago. The morons that designed it didn't think it through as they used a "normal" dial gauge on it and it reads backwards. Small bores display a larger diameter, and larger bores display a smaller diameter.   Bash
I didn't notice it until the first time I used it about a month later , and the **** on the Snap-On truck wouldn't take it back. It works fine for checking tapers but it's useless for direct measurements unless you transfer the reading to a micrometer. The reverse reading Mitutoyo gauge will correct that.

[attachment=12958]

I even contacted Central Tools trying to obtain a new dial face for the gauge and this is the B.S. excuse they gave me.   Angry

Quote:I am told by our engineer that the reverse reading was requested by the automotive industry many years ago.  The 6467 was purposely designed to have the reverse reading.  Unfortunately, there is no way to change it.

Yeah, right - somebody specifically ASKED for a bore gauge that works bass-ackwards!   Rolleyes

RE: Latest Delivery - Dr Stan - 03-12-2016

(03-11-2016, 12:16 PM)Highpower Wrote: Yeah, right - somebody specifically ASKED for a bore gauge that works bass-ackwards! Rolleyes

Just another example of Dilbert's Wally at work.

RE: Latest Delivery - wawoodman - 03-12-2016

(03-12-2016, 03:26 PM)Dr Stan Wrote:
(03-11-2016, 12:16 PM)Highpower Wrote: Yeah, right - somebody specifically ASKED for a bore gauge that works bass-ackwards!   Rolleyes

Just another example of Dilbert's Wally at work.

Government job? NASA?

RE: Latest Delivery - TomG - 03-16-2016

One thing that doing YouTube videos has taught me is that people are incredibly generous. I'm constantly getting donations, tools, and offers of assistance. Today this heavy box showed up in the mail and I didn't think much of it because I thought it was something else I had ordered. When I got around to opening it up, this was what I found. The gentleman who sent them mentioned a while back that he came across a good deal on end mills and lathe bits at an auction and wanted to send me some, and he certainly did. They are almost all brand new American made end mills ranging from 1/8" to 3/4" and include 2-flute, 4-flute, and roughing end mills in HSS and carbide, plus a couple pounds of miscellaneous  HSS tool bits from 3/16" to 5/8" square. I was just thinking about getting some larger end mills, but changed my mind after seeing that a 3/4"x3" 4-flute was $60. Well there are a couple nice Niagara one's in here, so I don't have to worry about it any more.  Happyno

I'm just blown away.

Tom

[Image: 20160316_185854.jpg]

RE: Latest Delivery - DaveH - 03-16-2016

Very nice Tom Thumbsup 
nearly forgot You Suck   Smile 
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH

RE: Latest Delivery - Vinny - 03-16-2016

Yes Tom, Dave's onto something. You Suck

RE: Latest Delivery - Highpower - 03-16-2016

And for the trifecta..... You Suck

Big Grin

RE: Latest Delivery - f350ca - 03-16-2016

I'll have to go along with the masses on this one.

RE: Latest Delivery - pepi - 03-16-2016

That's incentive and motivation if ever there was . Yikes 

Should keep ya going for a while