MetalworkingFun Forum
Latest Delivery - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Metalworking Discussion (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Latest Delivery (/thread-873.html)

RE: Latest Delivery - PixMan - 03-10-2016

(03-10-2016, 10:07 AM)Sunset Machine Wrote: My foray into carbide tooling continues with this set.

I wish I could say congratulations.

Unfortunately, I cannot. Sorry. Let me know if you are ever choosing carbide insert tooling, I am happy to help.

RE: Latest Delivery - Vinny - 03-10-2016

(03-10-2016, 10:07 AM)Sunset Machine Wrote: My foray into carbide tooling continues with this set.

I have that exact same set. It was $20 or $25 at wholesale tool. They matched the HF sale price. http://www.wttool.com

The reason I have disdain for those sets is the insecurity of the inserts and the quality of the carbide. There is no captive pocket to secure the insert from moving and breaking, and the screws t hold them usually aren't right. The quality of the carbide is almost always one that people use and come to the conclusion that "carbide is a waste of money." Another thing is for the cost of the set, a single quality tool with a good quality 80º included angle insert (C or W shape designation) can turn and face a part without moving or changing the toolholder.

You can certainly use them successfully, but you won't know the joys of REALLY using carbide until you've used the good stuff. I do wish you luck.

BTW, the middle tool will be the one used 97% of the time, another one or two might see some use in chamfering or crude threading.

The set I have has a pocket. When I bought them I knew the inserts would be junque so I also bought some inserts for them while I was there. It turns out they're the same inserts my 16e toolholder uses.

RE: Latest Delivery - Sunset Machine - 03-10-2016

I wanted something to fit a big flycutter, he said this would work but should be C6 when I said "interrupted cut". There's a pocket and screw. ???

They sold me a Harbor Freight tool? Arggh!

I suppose I could try them on the lathe and see what they do. Bend, by the sound of Pixman. Smile

It's the 60 degree I'm after.

Well, I tried it. Pixman's right, anyone surprised?  Smile
Fastest speed, three different feeds, .010" DOC  ...  'Orrible is what it is.

HSS on the left, carbide on the right.   1018

The carbide cut faster, but needs handworking to finish. Net loss.

Just got off the phone with the tool guy.
Ready? He said, "I was afraid of that."
Do you have bits to fit? "Dunno, can you bring it in?"
Uh-oh.

It can be painful to get replacement inserts for those because standard ones which screw down use a 60º countersink and matching screw, while those often have a counterbore and an oddball screw size. The inserts are also often found to be an odd thickness, and sometimes even an odd I.C. size. The LH tools can be used to fashion a flycutter *IF* you can get inserts that fit and are of a worthwhile tough grade. The common problem is that turning inserts can't take the severely interrupted cut of a flycutter, so you have to find a tough grade.

Take this over to the turning tools section so we don't clog up the "latest delivery" thread with insert tool talk.

Oh my god. See you there!

..a short time passes by..

I read a few messages there and I see that I'm up against a wall. None of my machines are over 2HP and the two lathes - 3/4 and 1/2 HP each.

Think I might be done with this stuff. :(

(03-10-2016, 06:55 PM)Sunset Machine Wrote: I wanted something to fit a big flycutter, he said this would work but should be C6 when I said "interrupted cut". There's a pocket and screw. ???

They sold me a Harbor Freight tool? Arggh!  

I suppose I could try them on the lathe and see what they do. Bend, by the sound of Pixman. Smile

It's the 60 degree I'm after.

HF had a similar set. Prolly came from the same factory in China. WT matched the price 'cuze they were close enough.