MetalworkingFun Forum
Latest Delivery - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Metalworking Discussion (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Latest Delivery (/thread-873.html)

RE: Latest Delivery - Dr Stan - 03-08-2016

Yesterday's delivery:

[Image: FSCN1540_zpsp9byfyfr.jpg]

Cuts 3/8in. mild steel, 1/4in. aluminum, 1/4in. stainless steel, 1/4in. galvanized metal, 1/8in. copper and 1/8in. brass

40 amp so it should cut 1/2" (12.5 or 13 mm) steel with the right technique.

Was $549.99 but had a $50 coupon and also received free shipping.   Big Grin

Gotta love inverter technology as the last 50 amp machine I used was about 1/2 the size of an office desk.

RE: Latest Delivery - Vinny - 03-08-2016

You might find it cuts alot thicker steel than 3/8. There's a guy on you tube that used a 40 to see just how thick he could cut. He stopped at 1 1/2" only because he didn't have anything thicker. It wasn't a pretty cut but it did cut. He was fairly sure he could cut 2" as well. His name is Lance but I don't recall what his youtube name is. Something 2009.

RE: Latest Delivery - Vinny - 03-09-2016

Ok, so it wasn't delivered, I had to pick it up. So it is a delivery since I delivered it to the house!

I called around a couple of months ago looking for some 2x2 steel tubing @ 1/8" thick. The best price was about $85 for an 8 or 10' piece (don't remember which).

A couple of weeks ago I saw an ad on craigslist for 2x2 steel tubing 11 ga. 11 ga is about 1/8". They had it listed for $65.50 for a 24' piece. The other day I came across the ad again (had it in a tab on the browser) and saw they also had a website. The price must have come down. As you can see here, I got a 24' long piece, cut into 3 8' pieces, for $49.90 plus $4 for the cutting. Sure beats $85 for a third of it!!

Here you can see two, the third is in the middle but sideways, see the second pic.
[Image: sqsteel1.jpg]

End shot.
[Image: sqsteel2.jpg]

RE: Latest Delivery - Highpower - 03-09-2016

(03-05-2016, 02:23 AM)Vinny Wrote: Did you get the bevel gear that goes with that power feed?  I'd like as much info as possible on it.  (DP, TP, PA)

Vince, I've got my table power feed apart right now so I had a look at the bevel gear on mine. 24 DP and 20° PA.
This is on an "ALIGN" model AL-300S. Don't know if that does you any good or not...

My table feed has gotten pretty noisy so I wanted to have a look-see. Don't know where the grease went but both gears were pretty much bone dry. The bottom gear cover was full of oil, which I assume is melted grease from the drive gear. No info in my manual at all covering any kind of maintenance or what types of lube to use. Bash
I suppose I should pick up some spare plastic drive gears if I can find any.

RE: Latest Delivery - pepi - 03-09-2016

(03-09-2016, 09:59 PM)Highpower Wrote:
(03-05-2016, 02:23 AM)Vinny Wrote: Did you get the bevel gear that goes with that power feed?  I'd like as much info as possible on it.  (DP, TP, PA)

Vince, I've got my table power feed apart right now so I had a look at the bevel gear on mine. 24 DP and 20° PA.
This is on an "ALIGN" model AL-300S. Don't know if that does you any good or not...

My table feed has gotten pretty noisy so I wanted to have a look-see. Don't know where the grease went but both gears were pretty much bone dry. The bottom gear cover was full of oil, which I assume is melted grease from the drive gear. No info in my manual at all covering any kind of maintenance or what types of lube to use.  Bash
I suppose I should pick up some spare plastic drive gears if I can find any.

The information for the PF just installed suggests graphite grease.

Vinny

Great score on the tubing....

RE: Latest Delivery - f350ca - 03-09-2016

The drive gear went south in mine, forget what bone headed thing I did. Took the bottom cover off and they had a spare in the cover, which reminds me I was going to get another.

RE: Latest Delivery - Highpower - 03-10-2016

I've seen several people mention finding a spare inside the cover. No such luck for me as usual. I've found a replacement gear for the table feed here, but the feed on the knee is a different model and shows a different part number for the gear. Will have to email them and inquire about that one.

RE: Latest Delivery - Vinny - 03-10-2016

Greg, that may not be the gear I need. The one I need looks like this (hopefully this works)

[Image: s-l1600.jpg]

Willie, THANK YOU, that is probably what I'm looking for. I have a gear gage but it only goes down to 16DP and this one goes finer than the gage does.

Vince.

RE: Latest Delivery - Highpower - 03-10-2016

No problem Vinny. I got real lucky and found a really nice set of gauges on flea-bay for cheap. Covers 3 - 48 DP and both 14.5 and 20 degree PA. Now if I could only find a set for metric modules for the same price.... Sign0147 Slaphead

RE: Latest Delivery - Sunset Machine - 03-10-2016

My foray into carbide tooling continues with this set.