MetalworkingFun Forum
Latest Delivery - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Metalworking Discussion (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Latest Delivery (/thread-873.html)

RE: Latest Delivery - DaveH - 11-14-2015

Ooow very nice Willie, Drool
Although I have heard they are not 100% coolant proof ............ I think you should send it to me for 'testing' Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin 
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH

RE: Latest Delivery - Dr Stan - 11-14-2015

Nice saw.  Only difference between it and mine is mine still has the original grey paint.  I added roller blades guides which make a huge difference.

BTW

You Suck 

as I paid for mine. 

Hauling it home in my PU one of the Chinese ratchet straps broke.  Drivers side bed edge, DS rear corner of the cab, and the roof all needed work, including replacement of the roof.  The Chicom straps went into the trash and I purchased some really good US made ratchet straps for not much more than the Horror Freight versions.

RE: Latest Delivery - Highpower - 11-14-2015

(11-14-2015, 10:55 AM)DaveH Wrote: Ooow very nice Willie, Drool
Although I have heard they are not 100% coolant proof ............ I think you should send it to me for 'testing' Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin 
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH

You are right Dave. Coolant "proof" is a bit of a stretch. But I guess they can get away with it as long as they provide the "standard" in their official literature. It's more like how most wrist watches (the ones I can afford anyway...) are water "resistant" but not water "proof". Even though I do own a flood coolant system, I've never set it up and it's unlikely that I ever will. I have used a mist system a couple of times but find a spray bottle works just fine here in the home shop most of the time. Not a LOT of coolant to worry about around here.

[attachment=12201]

Darn the luck! Had I seen your post sooner, I could have sent it to you for "testing". Unfortunately I have already broken the hermetically sealed container (cut open the plastic bag) earlier this morning, and I fear it wouldn't fair well at the extreme negative temperatures and pressures of cruising altitude in the cargo bay on a flight to sunny S.A.   Slaphead

Maybe next time...   Big Grin

RE: Latest Delivery - Mayhem - 11-14-2015

Best keep it close by Willie. Whilst they may be coolant resistant, there is very little chance of anything being Dave resistant, let alone Dave proof... Big Grin

RE: Latest Delivery - Highpower - 11-14-2015

I don't know about that Darren. I fear they just might be in better hands based on the way my butter fingers have been working lately. Blush Rotfl

BTW: I just noticed your sig line..... brill. Big Grin

RE: Latest Delivery - Highpower - 11-19-2015

Another ebay find. Starrett "small rule" set. 32nds on one side, 64ths on the other. Holds the rules at either a 30° or 45° angle IIRC. "Self-folding" vinyl case. Once they take a set, you have to weigh them down to keep 'em open....   Rotfl

[attachment=12246]

[attachment=12247]

RE: Latest Delivery - f350ca - 11-19-2015

Why do they graduate machinist rulers in 1/8ths 16ths 32nds and 64ths  when virtually everything in a machine shop is in 10ths , 100ths or 1000ths

Nice rulers by the way.

RE: Latest Delivery - Dr Stan - 11-19-2015

(11-19-2015, 09:33 PM)f350ca Wrote: Why do they graduate machinist rulers in 1/8ths 16ths 32nds and 64ths  when virtually everything in a machine shop is in 10ths , 100ths or 1000ths

Nice rulers by the way.

I will not hijack this thread and go on a rant about the superiority of the metric system over the Imperial (inch etc) system.  No I'll write that on the chalk board 100 times. Smiley-nono

RE: Latest Delivery - Highpower - 11-20-2015

(11-19-2015, 09:33 PM)f350ca Wrote: Why do they graduate machinist rulers in 1/8ths 16ths 32nds and 64ths  when virtually everything in a machine shop is in 10ths , 100ths or 1000ths

Maybe to keep the precision woodworkers happy?   Big Grin

I have rules with both types of graduations but find myself using the fractional rules the majority of the time. (For imperial stuff of course.) Just too accustomed to working with bolt sizes, drill bits etc., in fractional sizes I guess. There have been a number of times where I have tried to measure something close to the chuck jaws in the lathe, or down inside a bore and even a little 6 inch pocket rule would get in the way. Now that I finally have a small set I'll probably never ever have a need for them again.   Blush

RE: Latest Delivery - wawoodman - 11-20-2015

As a woodworker, I was told that you use the hundredths scale for filing your nails.