MetalworkingFun Forum
Latest Delivery - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Metalworking Discussion (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Latest Delivery (/thread-873.html)

RE: Latest Delivery - RobWilson - 10-31-2015

Thanks for the replies Lads  Smiley-eatdrink004  

I really liked the Wiss timeline link in Toms post  Smile

Cheers Rob 

Ed whats your plans for  the hex bar ?

RE: Latest Delivery - arvidj - 10-31-2015

The Wiss timeline is interesting ...

I especially like the fact that he embraced technology and used a VFD to power the machinery ...

"... but shows he is not completely bound by tradition when he introduces power to his one-man operation: The grinding and polishing wheels are turned by a Saint Bernard running on a treadmill."

Very Find Dog

RE: Latest Delivery - EdK - 10-31-2015

(10-31-2015, 02:39 AM)RobWilson. Wrote: ...

Cheers Rob 

Rob,

No specific plans for the hex bars. I like using them to make arbors since they chuck up in the 3-jaw chuck nicely.

Ed

RE: Latest Delivery - PixMan - 10-31-2015

(10-31-2015, 10:15 AM)EdK Wrote:

Cheers Rob 

Rob,

No specific plans for the hex bars. I like using them to make arbors since they chuck up in the 3-jaw chuck nicely.

Ed

That's a pretty good idea! I'd probably buy some if I hadn't just made the painful decision to sell off my entire shop and all tooling.

There are a LOT of mitigating factors involved, suffice to say it's not an easy decision but one I had to make. I'll hang onto a few machinist measuring tools in case I ever need to take a job making chips for a living again.

RE: Latest Delivery - EdK - 10-31-2015

(10-31-2015, 10:54 AM)PixMan Wrote: ... I'd probably buy some if I hadn't just made the painful decision to sell off my entire shop and all tooling.

There are a LOT of mitigating factors involved, suffice to say it's not an easy decision but one I had to make. I'll hang onto a few machinist measuring tools in case I ever need to take a job making chips for a living again.

No!  Jawdrop

I'm sure you have good reasons to make that difficult decision Ken. I hope you stick around though.

Ed

RE: Latest Delivery - RobWilson - 10-31-2015

(10-31-2015, 10:59 AM)EdK Wrote:
(10-31-2015, 10:54 AM)PixMan Wrote: ... I'd probably buy some if I hadn't just made the painful decision to sell off my entire shop and all tooling.

No!  Jawdrop

I'm sure you have good reasons to make that difficult decision Ken. I hope you stick around though.

Ed

Smiley-signs009   bloody hell Ken ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,sad to hear your selling off your shop .

Rob

RE: Latest Delivery - Highpower - 10-31-2015

(10-31-2015, 10:15 AM)EdK Wrote:

Cheers Rob 

Rob,

Ed

What a strange coincidence. I got a box just like that in the mail today. Big Grin

I had no plans either - until now that is. Great idea Ed! Thumbsup
The hex bar will be held in reserve for just such use.

In fact I just found out the local metal supply has a 12 foot long piece of that exact material for $30. It's a bit rusty from sitting outside but still.... I may have to just go snatch it. Chin

RE: Latest Delivery - Highpower - 10-31-2015

(10-31-2015, 12:02 PM)RobWilson. Wrote: Smiley-signs009   bloody hell Ken ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,sad to hear your selling off your shop .

Rob

"The force is strong in that one." He'll be back with an even bigger and more elaborate shop Rob. We all know you can't resist "the force". Smile

RE: Latest Delivery - PixMan - 10-31-2015

(10-31-2015, 03:41 PM)Highpower Wrote:
(10-31-2015, 12:02 PM)RobWilson. Wrote: Smiley-signs009   bloody hell Ken ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,sad to hear your selling off your shop .

Rob

"The force is strong in that one." He'll be back with an even bigger and more elaborate shop Rob. We all know you can't resist "the force".   Smile

I can't say for sure if I'll ever put one together again, and it would take a $10000 miracle to bail me out from selling what I got. Both of the forced hot air (by natural gas) furnaces @ my two-family home are goners. Since I'm forced into doing it, time to pony up and add central air conditioning. Need more insulation, new doors, and some other updating. Homes have to come before shops. I've not been using it much in the past six months anyhow.

One curious thing though, I needed it today to refit the tenant's furnace. The pulley end of the blower assembly self destructed. I got an "agricultural grade" bearing at the local hardware store (it's all they had) and found the 3/4" shaft had worn down in one spot to under 4mm! I found a piece of 3/4" 316 stainless and solved that. Made a Delrin (acetal) bushing to replace the tattered rubber anti-vibration mount and counterbored it for the bearing.

It's making heat for her safely for now, but I know both units are of the same age and have to go.

RE: Latest Delivery - Mayhem - 10-31-2015

Gee Ken - I'm really sorry to hear that. Having spent time in your shop, I know exactly how well tooled up you are and the stories behind much of what you have. I can imagine just how tough a decision this was for you.

You do know that I am going to continue to bug you with questions don't you Big Grin