MetalworkingFun Forum
Latest Delivery - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Metalworking Discussion (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Latest Delivery (/thread-873.html)

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - EdK - 07-01-2015

The stuff for my power draw bar arrived today, well at least the stuff I remembered to order.  Blush

Ed

[attachment=11193]

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - PixMan - 07-02-2015

I might do one. What's the total height of the finished assembly as measured from the top of the variable speed housing?

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - Mayhem - 07-02-2015

(07-02-2015, 06:52 AM)PixMan Wrote: I might do one. What's the total height of the finished assembly as measured from the top of the variable speed housing?

WTF?  You are going to do a project for yourself?  I'm shocked!  

About time I say.

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - PixMan - 07-03-2015

Nah....I *might* do one. That's my way of saying I will put it off until the second week of never. Just putting feelers out to see if I even have enough room to consider it. The ceiling in my shop is low enough that I had to tip the head beyond 45º just to put the drawbar in it.

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - Charles Spencer - 07-03-2015

Hey Ken,

It didn't come in the mail but I found a Lufkin aluminum yard stick at the transfer station the other day.

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - PixMan - 07-03-2015

I'm glad got you that you were able to get that, Charles. When Richard Rivers is working there his truck is always loaded with every piece of aluminum he can steal.

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - EdK - 07-03-2015

(07-03-2015, 08:11 AM)PixMan Wrote: Nah....I *might* do one. That's my way of saying I will put it off until the second week of never. Just putting feelers out to see if I even have enough room to consider it. The ceiling in my shop is low enough that I had to tip the head beyond 45º just to put the drawbar in it.

Ken,

I would be happy to build you one under the following conditions.

"You will only pay for the tool when:

1. You get it installed on your mill and try it out.
2. You try it out and you love it.

If either of those two conditions aren't met, I will not accept payment.
"

I await your reply (I am serious though).  Big Grin

Ed

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - PixMan - 07-04-2015

Ed,

You do far too much for us just in having responsibility for this website. Of course I appreciate such and offer, I just can't agree to it right now. I'm really in a state of tossing about the idea of selling off my whole shop anyhow. With the house going to my son and his GF in a couple weeks, I really think it's time to give them their whole house. It would cost me far too much to prepare my home and move it, I just don't have that kind of money.

I have access to a great many shops, one is barely more than a mile from me. I'd keep my machinist toolbox and most of the measuring equipment, lose the machinery. The shop just isn't something I have time for anymore, and I'm finding my son filling up every horizontal space that I'd worked to clear after my dad passed. Brian says the shop can stay, but I'm just not feeling it.

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - EdK - 07-04-2015

That's got to be a tough decision. Whatever you decide, I hope you stick around. You're a valuable asset to this forum and it would be a great lose if you were to leave.

Ed

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - Charles Spencer - 07-04-2015

(07-04-2015, 06:35 AM)PixMan Wrote: Ed,

You do far too much for us just in having responsibility for this website. Of course I appreciate such and offer, I just can't agree to it right now. I'm really in a state of tossing about the idea of selling off my whole shop anyhow. With the house going to my son and his GF in a couple weeks, I really think it's time to give them their whole house. It would cost me far too much to prepare my home and move it, I just don't have that kind of money.

I have access to a great many shops, one is barely more than a mile from me. I'd keep my machinist toolbox and most of the measuring equipment, lose the machinery. The shop just isn't something I have time for anymore, and I'm finding my son filling up every horizontal space that I'd worked to clear after my dad passed. Brian says the shop can stay, but I'm just not feeling it.

I start the bidding at $50!   Drool

Seriously, I can understand what you are saying, I think.  Young people just starting out tend to go into serious "nesting" mode.  I seem to recall being highly energetic like that.  Boy, that was a while ago...

If I may be permitted to make a couple of suggestions, I'd consider some alternatives before doing anything too drastic.  A couple that come to mind are:

- Moving out the toolbox, hand tools, etc. and just letting it sit for a while until you see how things shake out.

- Finding a place at home for two or three of the most useful machines.  Drill press, grinder, and perhaps a small lathe if you have one that will fit.

- If you feel that you must sell some machinery avoid doing so at "fire sale" prices.  Take your time and ensure that you get a price that will not cause excessive regret later on.

- My old buddy Rocco had a saying, "Never sell your toys."  The last time I worked in a machine shop was 1979.  Since then I raised a family, had a fairly long career, and retired.  Now I didn't really have any machines besides a drill press and a bench grinder while I was busy being a "grown up".  However, once I retired, I set out to fix that.  I never really sold any of my tools, but some just seemed to disappear along the way.  Now whenever I buy something I used to have I am slightly unhappy.  But when I think of the tools that I made and no longer have it is much worse.  So I'd recommend holding onto anything that falls into that category.

Of course, if you decide you must get rid of something then I'd suggest donating it to the Spencer Retiree's Home Shop Machinists Club (membership: 1).   Thumbsup

Good luck with whatever you decide,

Charles