MetalworkingFun Forum
Latest Delivery - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Metalworking Discussion (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Latest Delivery (/thread-873.html)

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - Mayhem - 06-10-2015

I just received a very well packaged USPS box, with a selection of MT5 adapters (MT5-MT1, MT5-MT2, MT5-MT3, MT5-MT4 and MT5-JT3), a Nikcole mini grooving bar and three full radius inserts in 0.5mm, 0.75mm and 1.0mm radius, specifically for doing circlip and other small grooves.  

[attachment=10994]

[attachment=10995]

The Morse taper sleeves and the inserts were from Enco, using one of their special offers and the MT5-JT3 and Nikcole tool were eBay purchases.  The Nikcole tool was a bargain, as they list at $79 at Enco and all other stores I looked at.  The seller had this at $30 buy it now or make an offer. I offered him $25 and he accepted.  He still shows as having two available

The MT5-MT1 has obviously been sitting on the shelf a long time, as the protective oil has dried on it and it is in a cardboard box, as opposed to the plastic tube.  It is made by Skoda (same logo on the box as the cars).  The rest are Interstate (Enco's PRC import brand).  I could have gotten the PRC import items here for much more money and only 1MT increments, meaning I would have to use three if I wanted to use a MT2 drill.  

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - PixMan - 06-10-2015

Nice way to step down from the MT5 in your new lathe's tailstock, and a good bargain.

As for the Nickole tools, they're OK for the thinner grooves although I've had issues with the quality and tool life of the carbide inserts. For the low volume you would be doing and the fact that you'd be hand feeding, you'll be fine. I do know that Wrustle dropped his Nickole system in favor of the Kennametal "Top Notch", a,k.a. Valenite V-Lock system tools. With that system you get to wider grooving as well as threading, and can always source the thin ones from Horizon Carbide of Tempe Arizona.

I thought you had some V-Lock tools?

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - Mayhem - 06-10-2015

Thanks Ken - The Nikcole tool will only be used for the small diameter full radius grooves. It was Russ's and Ed's comments on this system that peaked my interest. Finding the tool holder at a greatly reduced rate also helped.

I have a VG112R 16-30 grooving/parting tool holder and two VH101-32-3 duel end parting blades. The seat size on the VG112R is 3.0 and I was under the impression that I wasn't able to get small diameter radius grooving inserts to fit. If I can I would prefer to go that route, as I love that tool.

I can easily sell on the Nikcole system to my mate, who is limited to 1/2" shank tools.

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - PixMan - 06-10-2015

The VG112R 16-30 isn't capable of using smaller inserts, so you are right about that. That's not a "V-Lock" nor "Top Notch" tool. Those are intended to be a true grooving and single point threading tool, while the VG112R is primarily a parting tool with the ability to have a small range of groove shape (full radius or straight groove) widths in the 3mm to 4mm width range.

I think you should just keep the Nickole tools, they'll be fine for your work.

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - Mayhem - 06-11-2015

Sorry - I didn't actually answer your question, which is no I don't have a top notch or v-lock tool (but you know that already). We did discuss them and I did borrow one from a local machine shop in order to cut a 6tpi thread, which was beyond the capabilities of the ER16 threading tools I have.

I too think the Nikcole tools will do me fine for what I want them for.

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - EdK - 06-22-2015

These arrived today.

Ed

[attachment=11101]  [attachment=11100]

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - PixMan - 06-22-2015

Those are some "wicket shahp" inserts, as we say over here in New England!

While they're a grade recommended for stainless steels, you'll do fine in all materials. Lower speeds for carbon steels, run as fast as you can in aluminum. Do be aware that a nice finish will require a very fine feed rate, given the .004" (0.1mm) corner radius.

Here's the ones that I received today, same size though in a CPGT21.50.5, which is an .008" (0.2mm) corner radius. These fit the 1/2" solid carbide boring bar I picked up for short money (see post #362), and is also a grade for stainless steels that I know how to use in anything. My cost was $42.46 for the ten. Not as good a deal as you got but I'm not unhappy!

[Image: IMG_20150622_185702915_HDR_zpsjkuzsxco.jpg]
[Image: IMG_20150622_185858643_HDR_zpsn6md8fvz.jpg]

Sorry for the poorly focused close-up, I have trouble getting my mobile phone to focus better and stay there.

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - the penguin - 06-22-2015

the LNGX 130708R-L55 WKP 35 inserts for the mill cutter arrived today, they back ordered my AKPT 1003PDR-HMs

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - PixMan - 06-22-2015

Did you get the older grade WKP35 or the newer, longer lasting grade WKP35S?

Are the APKT 1003PDR-HM for an Iscar cutter or other make?

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - the penguin - 06-22-2015

(06-22-2015, 08:48 PM)PixMan Wrote: Did you get the older grade WKP35 or the newer, longer lasting grade WKP35S?

Are the APKT 1003PDR-HM for an Iscar cutter or other make?

No, I was unaware of the WKP35S, So I got the WKP35 inserts, for what I'm doing they should be fine

the APKT 1003PDR-HMs are for the indexable end mills I use occasionally