MetalworkingFun Forum
Latest Delivery - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Metalworking Discussion (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Latest Delivery (/thread-873.html)

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - TomG - 05-26-2015

Ed,

The only problem with that hardware organizing thing is that once you get it organized, then you can see how much you are missing. I just dropped nearly $300 on a McMaster Carr order to make sure all those nice little cups were filled to a respectable level. Yikes

Tom

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - EdK - 05-26-2015

(05-26-2015, 04:35 PM)TomG Wrote: Ed,

The only problem with that hardware organizing thing is that once you get it organized, then you can see how much you are missing. I just dropped nearly $300 on a McMaster Carr order to make sure all those nice little cups were filled to a respectable level. Yikes

Tom

Oh crap. Slaphead Now you tell me. Too late though. I've already designed the oak cabinet to hold them. I'm kind of looking forward to doing some woodworking projects this summer.

Those cups will come in handy since you can't seem to buy small quantities of hardware from McMaster. At least now I'll have a place to put the left overs.  Smile

Ed

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - PixMan - 05-26-2015

(05-26-2015, 04:23 PM)EdK Wrote: Got this today. I've wanted one of these for years but couldn't justify the cost. I used an Enco 20% off plus free shipping to make it more palatable.
It's an 8 inch caliper. There have been times I could have used this when my 6 inch caliper was too short.
Oh, and I got a few center drills also. My existing ones are getting dull and most are of unknown origin.

Ed

Good caliper, though I'd prefer the digital electronic because they're so handy when you want to switch to metric, take differential readings, etc. A lot more money though, so I understand the reason for a mechanical dial caliper.

One major issue I have with all the makers is....why 8"?

The increments are 6", 8" and 12". Or, 150mm, 200mm & 300mm. I have a very rare NINE inch Starrett digital electronic one, and it's the only electronic Starrett tool that I love. I can't tell you how many times that extra inch has been needed. Why could they all do that, and why did Starrett discontinue it?

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - DaveH - 05-26-2015

(05-26-2015, 06:04 PM)EdK Wrote: I'm kind of looking forward to doing some woodworking projects this summer.

Ed

I thought you were going to do some welding projects 17428  Big Grin
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

(05-26-2015, 06:08 PM)PixMan Wrote: Good caliper, though I'd prefer the digital electronic because they're so handy when you want to switch to metric, take differential readings, etc. A lot more money though, so I understand the reason for a mechanical dial caliper.

One major issue I have with all the makers is....why 8"?

The increments are 6", 8" and 12". Or, 150mm, 200mm & 300mm. I have a very rare NINE inch Starrett digital electronic one, and it's the only electronic Starrett tool that I love. I can't tell you how many times that extra inch has been needed. Why could they all do that, and why did Starrett discontinue it?

I also would have preferred the digital electronic one for the same reasons you do. But, as you said, it's a lot more money. Maybe it'll be a birthday gift to myself in November. Big Grin

Ed

(05-26-2015, 06:10 PM)DaveH Wrote:
(05-26-2015, 06:04 PM)EdK Wrote: I'm kind of looking forward to doing some woodworking projects this summer.

Ed

I thought you were going to do some welding projects 17428  Big Grin
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

I am. 17428

Ed

Hi Ed,
So when does your Summer start? Big Grin 
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - PixMan - 05-26-2015

(05-26-2015, 06:14 PM)DaveH Wrote: Hi Ed,
So when does your Summer start? Big Grin 
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH

I think summer in Ed's area runs from June 21st until the first snow.

Usually June 23rd.

Rotfl

I thought the same
Rotfl  Rotfl  Rotfl 
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - Vinny - 05-26-2015

Didn't realize Ed's started as soon as June 21st. I was thinking more toward late July or early August.