MetalworkingFun Forum
Latest Delivery - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Metalworking Discussion (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Latest Delivery (/thread-873.html)

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - DaveH - 04-26-2015

Nice, very nice Thumbsup 
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - Highpower - 04-26-2015

Dave, the nice part was finding the Albrecht chuck when I did. This is it from MSC ($447.52)
But I stumbled across one at Amazon for $262.36 delivered. I've never seen new ones under $300 anywhere else.  Cool 

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - Vinny - 05-04-2015

Got this out of the bay (ebay that is). $299 and change (before shipping, etc). It's mitutoyo and the scales are the high res versions. The next task will be fitting it all on my mill.

[Image: scales.jpg]

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - stevec - 05-05-2015

Vinny, looks great!
My Mitutoyo died over the winter, after giving me some problems last summer.
I had to remove the on-off switch and wire it direct from the "ON" side of my mill power switch, worked for a while but now there's no response.
I'll look closer into it when I get time so I'm presently re-learning to use the dials.

I'd like to compare the specs of our scales, it might help me find a new controller to talk to them.
I notice your read out goes to 4 decimal places? seems a bit much for a mill? Chin

Steve

Smiley-eatdrink004

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - PixMan - 05-05-2015

Interesting.

I have the AT102 scales on my lathe, and the head unit I have looks older. Perhaps that's why I have only .001" resolution on the X axis (cross slide) but .0005" resolution on the Z axis (apron/carriage.) It's moving the same amounts, but because it's doubled in X that's probably why it wont display the 1/2 thoudsandth.

The head unit I have seems to have a few features that one doesn't, all related to being able to use it on a lathe for the option of incremental (depth per side) or diametral (on diameter) readings for X or Z.

Having the 1/2 thousandth readout for a mill isn't overkill. I have it on my Alliant/Prototrak. I wish I had finer, down to 0.0001" increments.

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - Highpower - 05-05-2015

(05-05-2015, 07:04 AM)stevec Wrote: I notice your read out goes to 4 decimal places? seems a bit much for a mill? Chin

Steve

Smiley-eatdrink004

Just depends on how anal you are about tolerances I guess Steve. If I'm using an edge finder on the mill I'm not happy unless it repeats within .0002" (the resolution on my scales) on my DRO if I'm trying to get something 'spot on'.  Blush

[Image: P2170002.jpg]

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - Vinny - 05-05-2015

Steve, the AT102, 111, 112, 115 and 181 are all 0.0005mm - 0.01mm (depending upon the counter connected). The counter is the KS model which is 0.0005mm/0.001mm/0.002mm/0.005mm/.00002"/.00005"/.0001"/.0002"/.0005" (that was a copy/paste from the spec sheet) and the display is 8 digit with - sign and floating decimal point.

Ken, this one has both modes (inc and dia) it's switched with the 1/2 button.

There is one minor drawback with this one. The scales are TOO BIG FOR MY MILL! If I mount them horizontal in the back of the table, I lose 4" of Y travel. If I mount it in the front, I can't turn the Y handle. What I may do is wait till I build the table and re-engineer the Y handle so I can put it on the front.

Unless someone has another idea, of course. *hopeful look*

Also I misspoke or mistyped in my original post on this. The scales aren't hi-res, they're high accuracy. 3+3Lo/1000 vs 5+5Lo/1000. Not exactly sure what either mean tho.

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - stevec - 05-05-2015

Sorry Ken, In my (feeble) experience there aren't many of the older (pre CNC) mills that can hold to "tenths" work.

Admittedly I learned this from a prominent member of another forum who seems to have had many years of experience
holding tight tolerances.

I, however, really appreciate this sites tolerance of me. Blush 

Steve

Smiley-eatdrink004

I'm sure mine can't. It's so old very few people have even heard of the brand and none of them remember much about it. It's a Bromson.