MetalworkingFun Forum
Latest Delivery - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Metalworking Discussion (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Latest Delivery (/thread-873.html)

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - Highpower - 04-11-2015

Depends on the size of your part and the size (length) of your broach Greg. I have two sets of broaches and the #0 set has some short little tiny ones.

I made a new set of wheel arbors for my carbide grinder and used my largest broach (3/8"). It was too long and wouldn't fit when set up on top of the platen. But after removing the platen and using some thinner steel round stock instead, it went in with room to spare. Smile 

My other option would have been to get the broach started in the hydraulic shop press, and then move it to the arbor press to finish it out. I won't use the shop press to press a broach all the way through though. You can't 'feel' the pressure on the tool and can snap one easily - in my opinion. Other folks have said they do it all the time - but they don't have my run of luck of course.  Rotfl

[Image: P4080122.jpg]

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - PixMan - 04-13-2015

Gave away a few too many of my 3mm Valenite VSG single ended cutoff inserts, so I found a pack on eBay for the paltry sum of $27.50 for ten. List price being $18.00 each (soon to be obsolete as they're the same holders for Sandvik Coromant N151.2 style), the $2.75 each including shipping was a grand bargain. Again.

[Image: IMG_20150413_181735260_HDR_zpsrco4vfts.jpg]
[Image: IMG_20150413_181747604_HDR_zpsmigdch6z.jpg]

The "GG" chipbreaker is the "heavy duty" one than I run at about .006" per rev. The grade 5820 is a great all-around grade, works exceptionally well in stainless steels. Some of you have seen videos where this is my insert of choice and I PLOW through the cutoffs.

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - big job - 04-15-2015

wish my bench'es were that clean

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - PixMan - 04-15-2015

Found a photo of my arbor press. Looks like I have the same one as Willie.

[Image: IMG_2117-r_zpscddf0084.jpg]

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - Highpower - 04-15-2015

(04-15-2015, 06:56 AM)PixMan Wrote: Found a photo of my arbor press. Looks like I have the same one as Willie.

I'll bet the teeth on yours don't have cavities like mine does though.  Big Grin

But.... my assortment of 4140 has arrived. Now I just need the energy to actually make the parts.  Blush

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - PixMan - 04-16-2015

(04-15-2015, 10:00 AM)Highpower Wrote: I'll bet the teeth on yours don't have cavities like mine does though.  Big Grin

But.... my assortment of 4140 has arrived. Now I just need the energy to actually make the parts.  Blush

I'll try to get into the woodshop where that arbor press lives and check that ratchet & pawl. It may be in good shape as the press has only been used a half-dozen times in the 7 or 8 years since my dad bought it.

Newest UPS delivery was this new old stock 1/2" solid carbide 2-flute ball end mill. It's a Valenite brand according to the seller, I haven't had enough time to put my loupe on and check that. I did go looking for a list price on it, but couldn't find anywhere in my archives where Valenite sold solid carbide ball mills. I'm fairly certain if they did it was just a reselling of a good brand because they only made carbide inserts.

I doubt any quality solid carbide ball mill of this size would sell for the price I paid off an eBay seller: $24.95, shipped.

[Image: IMG_20150416_205121730_zpsj4rujbfo.jpg]

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - Vinny - 04-23-2015

Got my 3c hex collets today. Not the best pic but you can actually see some of my bench!

[Image: collets.jpg]

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - stevec - 04-24-2015

What's with the carpet on your "bench"? Do you do a lot of dancing on it?
Rotfl
Lets see a pic of a collet out of the plastic wrapper Thumbsup .

Steve

Smiley-eatdrink004

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - Vinny - 04-24-2015

Haven't taken any of them out of the wrapper yet, coming soon. I'll post pics then.

The carpet is something I learned when I was on the bench for Radio Shack many lifetimes ago (like when their stocks were at $60). Provided you keep it clean it saves customer (and my) cabinet finishes from getting scratched up. This bench is for my electronic work. No carpet on the others. My layout bench will eventually be epoxied. I finally found an inexpensive source.

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - Highpower - 04-25-2015

Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and then I suppose. For once the planets were aligned correctly for me.  Blush 
I actually stumbled upon three good deals recently, so I guess I've used up my quota for awhile.

I have a couple of Jacobs 14N Super Chucks (1/2"). I have two because the first one I bought let out a rather distinctive "CRACK" noise one day when I was tightening up a drill bit in my lathe tail stock. The sleeve locked up and I had to fiddle with it for quite some time before it started moving again. I suspect it either cracked the bearing race or ball cage, -or- it broke a tooth on one of the jaws. At the time, it was cheaper to buy a brand new chuck than it was to buy a repair kit. So lately I have been thinking about repairing the original chuck (again) and picked up a piece of .500" wall DOM tubing to make a press sleeve to disassemble the chuck and investigate further. Looking at repair kits again, I happened upon an ENCO sale for a new 16N Super Chuck (5/8") which along with a 20% promo code, came out to be WAY less than the cost of a repair kit once again.

I've also had problems with using the SPI keyless drill chuck on my mill, when working on TALL parts. The chuck itself has been flawless in it's accuracy and function. But because I have a 'short' 3/4 size mill (compared to a Bridgeport) vertical space is somewhat lacking. So I have also been looking for a more compact drill chuck set-up. I settled on an Albrecht 130 (1/2") keyless chuck with a straight shank so I could get it up tight to the spindle and gain close to another inch of room in the Z axis. So now it's going to be a game of musical drill chucks. I'll put the new 16N on the lathe, and move the good 14N over to the mill for power tapping, and the new Albrecht for drilling on the mill. Still need to get into the other 14N though. Chin 

[attachment=10582]

Another tool that I have been putting off until a recent sale and discount code popped up, is a speed increasing hand piece for my Foredom tools. It uses miniature ER style collets and cranks out up to 35,000 rpm. I have some 1/8" shank carbide PCB drills and end mills I've been wanting to play with.  Big Grin

[attachment=10583]