MetalworkingFun Forum
Latest Delivery - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Metalworking Discussion (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Latest Delivery (/thread-873.html)

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - EdK - 04-11-2015

Love the bench top Greg. Thumbsup

Ed

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - DaveH - 04-11-2015

Very nice ........... I have one the same also 3 tons only in blue.
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - Highpower - 04-11-2015

So that is what a bench top looks like? I don't remember...  Chin 

Do yourself a favor Greg and mill off the two bottom teeth on that rack, so you don't have to fight the handle position all of the time.  Happyyes

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - PixMan - 04-11-2015

I have an arbor press of about the same size. If you mill a couple of teeth off, doesn't that cut the working range of the tool?

I haven't used mine much but never really noticed having any trouble with the position of the handle. I might think it wouldn't be such a big deal to pull the pinion and reposition it if I needed maximum leverage sometime. In fact, I might be able to re-engineer that for quick indexing.

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - dallen - 04-11-2015

be simpler to just reclock the pinon so the handle is where you want it when its raised all the way up

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - Vinny - 04-11-2015

Or replace the handle with a wheel.

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - f350ca - 04-11-2015

Thought you'd appreciate the bench top Ed. Never got a picture so I guess it never happened (still having trouble believing it myself), the young lad came out this morn and washed down the big lathe with solvent, then cleaned up the chip pan of the Hardinge and wiped it down. I need sun glasses out there now.
Read an article somewhere Willie about taking a couple of teeth off. There is a cheap collar with a set screw to hold the pinion in, wonder about drilling through for a safety pin that would allow easy removal and clocking.

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - DaveH - 04-11-2015

(04-11-2015, 05:33 PM)f350ca Wrote: There is a cheap collar with a set screw to hold the pinion in, wonder about drilling through for a safety pin that would allow easy removal and clocking.

The same guy that made yours must have made mine. I had to make a new collar with two set screws. The original collar tilted over on tightening it down so it was either too tight or too loose.

From that one can get to the can-can Rotfl
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - Highpower - 04-11-2015

(04-11-2015, 04:36 PM)PixMan Wrote: I have an arbor press of about the same size. If you mill a couple of teeth off, doesn't that cut the working range of the tool?

I haven't used mine much but never really noticed having any trouble with the position of the handle. I might think it wouldn't be such a big deal to pull the pinion and reposition it if I needed maximum leverage sometime. In fact, I might be able to re-engineer that for quick indexing.

You are correct Ken. It will cut about an inch from the top of the working range, with the ram all the way up. I think the idea is that you don't use the full stroke most of the time, unless you are working on some really long shafts, etc., with regularly and need the full height of the press frame.

David, the issue isn't the handle position when it's full up. It's when the ram is down on the work which changes in height depending on your work, and changes the handle position. You want the best position and max leverage you can get of course when it's time to start pulling on the handle.

Sure you can pull the pinion and reposition it to accomplish the same thing every time. It just seems easier to me to raise the ram back up and let it click a couple of teeth and the come right back down instead of having to disassemble the pinion.

Vinny, it would need to be an awfully big wheel to get the leverage needed on the pinion. A pipe roller comes to mind. Chin

It was just a suggestion. But that is why I bought a ratcheting press to begin with, so I can ignore all of that.  Big Grin

Smiley-eatdrink004

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - f350ca - 04-11-2015

Wish I could have found a used ratcheted one Willie, it wasn't for lack of trying but figured I'd be dead before one came along.
I've yet to use a broach to cut keyways, but wouldn't you need all the stoke you could get for them.