MetalworkingFun Forum
Latest Delivery - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Metalworking Discussion (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Latest Delivery (/thread-873.html)

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - PixMan - 03-26-2015

Did anyone get the inserts I sent yet?

If so I'd be anxious to see a video of those CCGT32.50.5-PF2 WXN15 inserts working, showing the chip control.

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - EdK - 03-26-2015

(03-26-2015, 02:20 PM)PixMan Wrote: Did anyone get the inserts I sent yet?

If so I'd be anxious to see a video of those CCGT32.50.5-PF2 WXN15 inserts working, showing the chip control.

After reading this I went out to the mailbox and there they were. I'll definitely do a video when I try them out. And thanks for the little extra. That's a neat tool with a lot of information on it.  Thumbsup

Ed

I got more of those "little extra" things too, if anyone else wants one. It's about a buck to send one, a Valenite Tap Calculator. It's an old fashioned "slide rule" style glossy cardboard thing that allows you to select a given tap size, then shows the right drill for it. It covers UN and metric taps, gives expected percentage of full thread. It even has the drill sizes for form taps.

On the flipside it has the cutting speed for taps. Nice tool.

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - dallen - 03-26-2015

yep got mine but its going to be a bit before I use on, I have a 22 caliber barrel that I'm wanting to do the finish pass on the taper with one.

Also thanks for the slide rule, its a nice bit of tooling to have hanging around the tool box far as I'm concerned companies should go back to making them and handing them out.

DA

David,

While the grade and "extra sharp" geometry was developed for aluminum alloys. the fact that it's a Titanium Carbo-Nitride coating allows it to work on other materials. I would run the barrel at 250 to 300 surface feet per minute. This will be a good test because with a tapered gun barrel it's a long, unsupported cut and subject to chatter. The sharp edge should eliminate that completely.

A gun barrel taper should be low enough angle to use the offset tailstock method rather than waiting to find a lathe with a taper attachment. You should find one of the "bell mouth" style center drills to drill center holes in plugs you make for the ends of the barrel, offset the tailstock and set taper by checking the "per side" taper with a long travel indicator mounted on your carriage. It's easier than it may sound.

Best of luck.

Ken

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - dallen - 03-26-2015

(03-26-2015, 04:23 PM)PixMan Wrote: David,

While the grade and "extra sharp" geometry was developed for aluminum alloys. the fact that it's a Titanium Carbo-Nitride coating allows it to work on other materials. I would run the barrel at 250 to 300 surface feet per minute. This will be a good test because with a tapered gun barrel it's a long, unsupported cut and subject to chatter. The sharp edge should eliminate that completely.

A gun barrel taper should be low enough angle to use the offset tailstock method rather than waiting to find a lathe with a taper attachment. You should find one of the "bell mouth" style center drills to drill center holes in plugs you make for the ends of the barrel, offset the tailstock and set taper by checking the "per side" taper with a long travel indicator mounted on your carriage. It's easier than it may sound.

Best of luck.

Ken

I will have access to a lathe with a taper attachment on it in a couple weeks, also the brains of the instructor at the tech school where I have signed on of another round of gunsmithing.

This barrel is only 20 inches long with only about 17 inches planned to be tapers from 1" to .875" just enough to make the barrel look longer then it will actually be.

I only plan to use the inserts to do the final finish pass on the barrel, and your right they are sharp, shop monster wanted to use on to sharpen his gopher hooks with. 

Thanks for the tap calculator.

DA

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - Vinny - 03-26-2015

Ken, do you take paypal? I'd like one of those calculators if there are any left.

Thanks!!

Sure do. use my E-Mail Address to send payment.

I got about 20 more. They didn't cost me anything but do cost a little bit to send them out.

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - mike-sid - 03-26-2015

I got my inserts today too! Thank you! Ken.
I have a project in mind for them too. I'll shoot some video when I do my project. Ken, you're going to love my project! Tongue I am making a breather catch tank, mainly because I'm nuts. I re-route the breather from my Motorcycle from going into the intake to the atmosphere. I do not want the oil mist to burn up and deposit carbon on my pistons, But of course that means I get a fine spray on my lovely paint after many miles. So my latest idea was to make a catch tank, small of course, instead of buying one. See all the fun you are missing out on with your European cycle! Rotfl Just so you know I'm just funning with you, I have nothing against any brand motorcycle. I love my Harley Electra Glide, but if I was choose another brand I'm sure I'd be just as happy on a Gold Wing, or one of the big BMW touring bikes! For the record, I love Triumph's too, especially the retro ones, but now I'm into the big touring bikes. As long as your on 2 wheels and happy, nothing else matters. I have know some guys on Harley's that wont ride with other bikes, I think that just shows their narrow mindedness, I do understand why anyone would not want to ride with someone riding a bike with drag pipes, they do get loud! I don't like riding behind them either. I guess I'm getting old, cause I had drag pipes on my last bike for at least 15 years! Rant over

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - Vinny - 03-26-2015

buck sent. Thanks!