MetalworkingFun Forum
Latest Delivery - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Metalworking Discussion (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Latest Delivery (/thread-873.html)

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - RobWilson - 03-14-2015

(03-14-2015, 11:16 AM)PixMan Wrote: Rob, I have to assume those tools are for shaping the sand in casting moulds, packing in tighter, and refining the fit?

Just about spot on Smile  , they are used for repairing,smoothing the surface of the mould cavity once the pattern has been removed . Also for cutting gates and runners into the sand . 

Grown up sandcastle tools Rotfl Rotfl   ,  " miniature golf clubs, or something for sculpting a Japanese sand garden."  Rotfl Rotfl Rotfl Rotfl .I liked that !

Bought these today from a local lad  Big Grin

[Image: P1080680_zpsmsfrmlse.jpg]

Now thats a canny lathe drive dog  Cool  .

Cheers Lads ,Rob 

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - Highpower - 03-14-2015

Nice collection of hammers.  Smiley-eatdrink004 

What is in the bags? Lead shot, steel shot, sand, other? Chin 

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - dallen - 03-14-2015

nice set of tinsmith hammers, bags should be full of lead shot, but may be filled with sand

DA

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - EdK - 03-14-2015

Bags? I thought those were large, aluminum (aluminium) ingots. 17428

Ed

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - PixMan - 03-14-2015

I've got a fair number of hammers myself, but most like the 2nd one from the right. I won't ever see ones like mine for sale...my grandfather made them!

Got this in today's post/mail, another eBay find that I wasn't particularly looking for:

[Image: IMG_20150314_140622713_HDR_zpsqklqiyws.jpg]

It's the SIR 0750 P22 shown in the catalog just above the tool itself. Among the internal threading bars, this is the smallest diameter (Ø 3/4") one that accepts the larger 22IR size inserts. When I was making the 1-1/4-5ACME threads for Darren's machine, the elevation screw and nut set, this would have been nice to have. The smallest bore it can get into is Ø 0.900", the bore on the 1-1/4-5ACME thread is Ø 1.050".

Coincidentally it came with two inserts, both 22IR-5ACME, which is the exact insert I would have used for the that internal thread on his part! One edge of one insert has had more relief angle ground on its leading edge, which forces me to think whoever used it was trying to thread a higher helix angle thread than what it was designed to do.

$70.00 shipped for the bar and two inserts. The reason I used HSS for Darren's project at that time is because the bar new would have been over $150 and inserts over $30 each. This setup probably wouldn't have chattered on the last "spring pass" as my flat-topped HSS tool and steel bar did. Oh well, ready for the next one!

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - RobWilson - 03-14-2015

Hi Lads 

The two bags are sand bags ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and you guest it full of sand  Big Grin , shot would be way to heavy I have 12" bag ,wonder what that would weigh full of lead , lead shot would just mush into one large lump after it had been whacked a few times  Popcorn

Rob 

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - Mayhem - 03-14-2015

(03-14-2015, 01:34 PM)PixMan Wrote: ...Oh well, ready for the next one!

I'm hoping it won't come to that. However, I'm sure you will find something to use it on.

(03-14-2015, 05:44 PM)Mayhem Wrote:
(03-14-2015, 01:34 PM)PixMan Wrote: ...Oh well, ready for the next one!

I'm hoping it won't come to that.  However, I'm sure you will find something to use it on.

And the "something else to use it on" is just what I had in mind when I clicked on the "Make An Offer" option.

I couldn't actually use it on making another bronze nut for you because it can only cut right hand threads. If it were a larger one with an interchangeable anvil under the insert, I could swap out the anvil to a negative rake on and do LH threads, but it wouldn't be small enough to get into the 1.05" bore.

The most likely situation would be right hand threads of 7, 6, or 5 TPI where I may not have the power to use a tap. I do have up to 1-1/4-7 taps, but it would be easier to thread on the lathe.

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - Mayhem - 03-14-2015

Thanks Ken - I wasn't aware that the anvil that has to change when you run the lathe in reverse to cut a LH thread with a RH tool?

(03-14-2015, 06:16 PM)Mayhem Wrote: Thanks Ken - I wasn't aware that the anvil that has to change when you run the lathe in reverse to cut a LH thread with a RH tool?

Yes, and same for using a LH tool to cut a RH thread. The helix angle is inclined in the opposite direction, so you have to tip the insert the other way.

Or, just get the right tool holder. If I happen across the same tool in left hand, would be an SIL 0750 P22, I would grab it. For the more common 16ER size insert that can handle 8 to 72 TPI, I now have four external tools including SER 1000 P16, SEL 1000 P16, and the drophead (run upside down) SER 1000 K16D and SEL 1000 K16D. For internal I have 3 bars for 16IR, 1/2", 3/4" and 1", one LH bar 3/4", and some smaller ones for 6IR and 11IR inserts. I haven't got many inserts for the small ones yet because taps do 99% of the threads I need,

For the 16ER/IR tools I've added the full sets of 7 different anvils, so I'm ready for high helix angle threads, or really large fine threads. If someone needs a 3-start thread, I can probably do it with tools on hand.