MetalworkingFun Forum
Latest Delivery - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Metalworking Discussion (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Latest Delivery (/thread-873.html)

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - Mayhem - 03-12-2015

Nice tools Ken and Willie,

I've used the saved searches feature but find it frustrating when someone has a no name POS microeter for sale and put Starrett, Mitutoyo, Brow & Sharp etc in their description. However, what is more annoying is the searches where I specify the location to be within 200 miles of the CBD post code. To begin with, I only saw returns within this zone but now, I get them from the East coast and even the US.

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - PixMan - 03-12-2015

Of course I also get the listings that don't relate to my actual search but are littered with "related keywords."

I don't click on everything that comes up. Lately it's been INCREDIBLY frustrating for my "Walter" and "Titex" searches because there's a dealer (and not and authorized one at that) who lists literally hundreds of new tools by those brands, for which they state "ships direct from manufacturer in 15 days." Their listings usually have no photo, and when they do it's often the wrong photo for the item listed. I think there's a way to SHOW all listings from a specific seller, but I can't seem to find a way to EXCLUDE a specific seller!

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - Highpower - 03-12-2015

(03-12-2015, 08:56 PM)PixMan Wrote: but I can't seem to find a way to EXCLUDE a specific seller!

And they will make sure that you never do. Can you imagine the outcry they would get from the shady sellers?  Angel

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - Vinny - 03-13-2015

Willie you're right about the uselessness of those expanding arbors. To make it worse, the small ones have screws that you can't really even tighten. The allen holes aren't deep enough.

The second set you have, I have one of them and it wasn't cheap. When I needed a larger one, rather than shell out $60+ for it I made an expanding sleeve to go over the other one. How expensive was that complete set?

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - Highpower - 03-13-2015

Right you are about the set screws Vinny, but given their origin they are universally expected to be junk anyway. Just like the cheap import QCTP lathe tool holders a lot of us use. The set screws go straight into the round file and are automatically replaced with quality screws, and they become usable tools.  Blush 

I caught a one day Enco 20% off sale last week, and told myself I've put those off long enough. Discounted price was $423.70 but they wouldn't let me stack on the free shipping code as well.  Angry

Things being what they are, I had to take out an advance loan on my next birthday stipend from the wife.  Big Grin 

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - RobWilson - 03-13-2015

I bought myself , a few of each /different sizes  ;  Scotch cleaner ,English cleaner , Scotch club cleaner ,flange cleaner ,girder tool ,flange bead  upset ,boss tool ,straight bead ,spoon tool , and a few I have not found the names of yet   Chin  all moulding tools  Big Grin

[Image: P1080658_zpsi4vpphud.jpg]

[Image: P1080663_zps7bzw86c9.jpg]

Rob 

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - Highpower - 03-13-2015

That first picture is a bit deceiving Rob. At first I thought it was a set of miniature golf clubs, or something for sculpting a Japanese sand garden.  Big Grin 

What kind of molding are those tools used for?  17428 I am only familiar with the wooden patterns like John uses. Chin 

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - PixMan - 03-14-2015

Rob, I have to assume those tools are for shaping the sand in casting moulds, packing in tighter, and refining the fit?

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - DaveH - 03-14-2015

Making sand castles Big Grin  Rotfl 
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - PixMan - 03-14-2015

I found this while looking at other things on eBay. It's a long discontinued (yet still quite functional), new old stock Valenite Rigidex solid carbide modular boring bar. This one came fitted with an internal grooving insert. They also accept heads for ANSi/ISO standard boring inserts, though neither the grooving & threading inserts nor any other heads are still available from the maker. I'll keep looking around for other heads and I believe that I'll be able to find inserts somewhere. The two-key fitment of the inserts shouldn't be unique.

Chances are good that I wouldn't be able to find heads for carrying inserts, so I'll see about getting the obsolete prints for them and make one or two. I would get much more use out of it as a chatter-damping boring bar than I would as an internal grooving or threading tool.

The bar is only Ø 5/16" diameter, so the photos are a little deceptive on just how small that drawbar, nut, damping spacer and other parts actually are.

[Image: IMG_20150314_104047100_zpswqe4z2ay.jpg]
[Image: IMG_20150314_103709725_zpsepjpbyug.jpg]
[Image: IMG_20150314_103936958_zps2gmgvnnu.jpg]
[Image: IMG_20150314_104323018_zpsy6pqivjb.jpg]

If nothing else, that long bar of carbide is probably useful to cutoff and braze on a head from Kennametal. Total cost: $20 US including shipping.