MetalworkingFun Forum
Latest Delivery - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Metalworking Discussion (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Latest Delivery (/thread-873.html)

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - DaveH - 02-22-2015

Very nice Willie,
Luv the oil cans - that's 1 for me and 1 for Ed (and 2 for you) - and I won't tell Ed you missed out the word 'rule' Big Grin 
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - Highpower - 02-22-2015

(02-22-2015, 06:05 PM)EdK Wrote: Willie,

What are those Starrett key seat clamps used for, other than seating keys?  17428
I don't know what a key seat clamp is, obviously.

Ed

For holding a scale or a rule parallel to the length of a piece of round stock Ed. You can use them for holding a rule steady against a shaft for measuring or laying out a keyway. Also good for transferring a locating mark on the end of shaft (a centerline for example) down the length of the O.D. You could also use a small piece of angle iron and do the same thing, but these along with a 6 inch scale fit much more nicely into a shirt pocket. Big Grin

[Image: Fig-5-Keyseat-Rule-Courtesy-of-L-S-Starr...ny-Ath.jpg]

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - Highpower - 02-22-2015

(02-22-2015, 06:32 PM)DaveH Wrote: - and I won't tell Ed you missed out the word 'rule' Big Grin 
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH

Apologies Dave, but not everyone is perfect nor as smart and handsome as you are. This is the burden we have to live with. 

Big Grin  Big Grin  Big Grin

Oh wait.....  I keep forgetting that's not a picture of you in your avatar!  Rotfl Rotfl  Rotfl

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - PixMan - 02-23-2015

Willie,

What's the full spec on those Sandvik Coromant inserts? I'm just curious about the grade, corner radius and chipbreaker designations.

Ken

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - Highpower - 02-23-2015

Ken, they are Sandvik Coromant CoroTurn 111 Carbide Turning Insert, CPMT, 80 Degree Diamond, KM Chipbreaker, H13A Grade, Uncoated, CPMT 2(1.5)1-KM, 1/4" iC, 0.0157"

I would be using them for aluminum probably 95% of the time and occasionally some brass/bronze. I tried looking at a few different brands and settled on these as my best guess for general finishing use. I tried contacting Walter a couple of times looking for a source for their inserts and spare lock screws but never received a reply from them so I gave up. I did get a couple of torx screws from a place in the UK with the correct thread, but have since learned that Walter apparently uses a proprietary torx PLUS screw head? 17428

The "regular" torx screws appear to have just slightly smaller heads and don't "pull" the insert back into the angled pocket of the boring bar. I am assuming that would cause problems with rigidity/vibration/breakage of the insert, and I shouldn't use them. It's not a problem if I shouldn't use them. I just wanted a couple extras for when (not if) I drop the original 2.5mm screw and loose it, because I know it will happen someday.  Blush

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - EdK - 02-23-2015

(02-23-2015, 12:52 PM)Highpower Wrote: ... but have since learned that Walter apparently uses a proprietary torx PLUS screw head? 17428

The "regular" torx screws appear to have just slightly smaller heads and don't "pull" the insert back into the angled pocket of the boring bar. I am assuming that would cause problems with rigidity/vibration/breakage of the insert, and I shouldn't use them. It's not a problem if I shouldn't use them. I just wanted a couple extras for when (not if) I drop the original 2.5mm screw and loose it, because I know it will happen someday.  Blush

Willie,

Torx plus is not proprietary. You can get them from McMaster, that's where I got mine for my Walter shoulder mill. Actually I bought a set of them so I'd have them.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#torx-plus-drivers/=w1f4hp

Ed

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - Highpower - 02-23-2015

Thanks Ed, but I was looking for 2.5mm insert locking screws - not the sockets / drivers.  Blush

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - EdK - 02-24-2015

(02-23-2015, 09:44 PM)Highpower Wrote: Thanks Ed, but I was looking for 2.5mm insert locking screws - not the sockets / drivers.  Blush

My bad. Blush

Try this. They show some 2.5mm insert screws.

http://www.carbideanddiamondtooling.com/Milling.cutter.spare.parts.wedge.screw

Ed

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - PixMan - 02-24-2015

Willie,

PM from me regarding this stuff. Keep an eye open for it.

Ken

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - Highpower - 02-24-2015

(02-24-2015, 06:47 AM)EdK Wrote:
(02-23-2015, 09:44 PM)Highpower Wrote: Thanks Ed, but I was looking for 2.5mm insert locking screws - not the sockets / drivers.  Blush

My bad.  Blush

Try this. They show some 2.5mm insert screws.

http://www.carbideanddiamondtooling.com/Milling.cutter.spare.parts.wedge.screw

Ed

Thanks again Ed. Those screws look similar to what I got from the UK, but with a larger drive, ie. T-9 vs. T-7 for the Walter screw. That leaves me to believe that screw possibly has an even larger head than the Walter screw?  Chin

I don't know, but it seems like there are different standards for the screw head sizes and drive socket sizes depending on the insert. 17428
Maybe Ken can confirm or discredit my suspicions. At this point I wouldn't trust anything to fit properly other than a Walter #FS2066 screw. I just hate buying a new item and then finding out you can't find readily available replacement parts.

Dyson is one such example. We have one of their vacuum cleaners (which works great) but they won't sell any factory replacement parts. Either sent the entire machine back to the factory for "repair$", or buy aftermarket parts elsewhere. But at least you can find aftermarket parts that work.

No big deal. If I loose the screw so be it. I'll take a chance with one of the generic screws and if I break an insert it won't be the end of the world either. I don't have a business riding on it. Cool