MetalworkingFun Forum
Latest Delivery - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Metalworking Discussion (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Latest Delivery (/thread-873.html)

RE: Latest Delivery - EdK - 05-25-2021

I have a Cook hammer that is probably the 2lb version up in storage in Minnesota. I'll be heading up there sometime in August and I'm hoping I have the stuff in storage that I think I have. Blush

Ed

RE: Latest Delivery - Highpower - 05-25-2021

(05-25-2021, 02:22 PM)Vinny Wrote: ....  No handle tho, I guess that's what lathes are for!  I also have a bunch of lead for making them.

Yes I've made a number of the smaller hammers using 3/8 iron pipe nipples and end caps for handles. The handle for the 4 pounder came as part of a 'kit' that also included a 5 lb. bar of lead. Not that I needed the lead. I saved several hundred pounds of the old style wheel weights for years to build up a lifetime supply for bullet casting. Got another couple hundred pounds of Linotype too, but that's too hard for making lead hammers.

I'm done with buying hammer molds now though. Scouts honor!  Big Grin

[Image: attachment.php?aid=12018]

RE: Latest Delivery - Hawkeye - 05-25-2021

I find that the 5.5 oz can that tomato paste comes in makes a great mold for a 2 pound lead hammer. 1/2" pipe handle, similar to those shown above.

I got good use out of the hammer last week, converting one of my old steel gold pans into a batea pan. Smoothed out the wrinkles after stretching the pan with the hydraulic press.

RE: Latest Delivery - Highpower - 05-26-2021

(05-25-2021, 10:26 PM)Hawkeye Wrote: I find that the 5.5 oz can that tomato paste comes in makes a great mold for a 2 pound lead hammer. 1/2" pipe handle, similar to those shown above.

I've done that before but don't have the energy for that much work anymore.  Blush
Using the tomato paste can is what Mr. Pete calls his third method of making a lead hammer.

Apparently I can completely cast a hammer in the same amount of time that it takes him to get the lid off of the tomato paste can.  Big Grin

Seriously though, it can be done either way but an actual mold is much faster albeit much, MUCH more expensive than the tin can for sure.

By the way Mike, you made me have to Google what the difference is between a gold pan and a batea pan. This city boy didn't have a clue. Still learning every day...

RE: Latest Delivery - Hawkeye - 05-26-2021

Still waiting for spring runoff to end so I can try it.

RE: Latest Delivery - EdK - 06-05-2021

This arrived for the mini lathe.

Ed

[attachment=17086]  [attachment=17087]

RE: Latest Delivery - Highpower - 06-05-2021

(06-05-2021, 03:12 PM)EdK Wrote: This arrived for the mini lathe.

Ed

Pretty sure that was also included with my lathe when I bought it. That is just sad. Bleh

RE: Latest Delivery - EdK - 06-05-2021

(06-05-2021, 07:47 PM)Highpower Wrote: Pretty sure that was also included with my lathe when I bought it. That is just sad. Bleh

Yup, steady rest, follower rest, face plate all included 17 years ago for $300 less.

Ed

RE: Latest Delivery - EdK - 06-08-2021

A couple more things arrived today.

Ed

[attachment=17089]  [attachment=17088]

RE: Latest Delivery - Highpower - 06-08-2021

I have that style demagnetizer too. Works great! I love that thing.