MetalworkingFun Forum
Latest Delivery - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Metalworking Discussion (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Latest Delivery (/thread-873.html)

RE: Latest Delivery - EdK - 01-22-2020

(01-21-2020, 10:22 PM)Highpower Wrote: UPS dropped off a couple of sets of new keyway broaches today. Metric this time... which is what I should have done before instead of getting Imperial sizes first. I see a whole lot more metric stuff than Imperial stuff anymore.  Slaphead

Where did you purchase them from? Chin

Ed

RE: Latest Delivery - Highpower - 01-22-2020

MSC. They were "on sale" in the metalworking flyer and about the same price as I paid for my Imperial sets several years ago.

Unfortunately the state of California tells me they are going to give me cancer though. (Cobalt)  Rolleyes

[attachment=16515]
[attachment=16516]

RE: Latest Delivery - Dr Stan - 01-29-2020

New to me horizontal milling machine.  It's missing the arbor support and a couple of handles for the knee, but otherwise is in very good shape.  I cannot find the brand name, but I know it was built in Italy for export.  About 20 years ago the Italian Trade Commission sponsored a trip so I could visit some of Italy's machine tool builders and frankly I was impressed.  As good as any built by the German or Swiss companies.

[Image: 00c0c_67xySMgFLym_600x450.jpg]

[Image: 00T0T_fCrWZz4Udaw_1200x900.jpg]
[Image: 00F0F_k7gxFTHnf3Y_1200x900.jpg]
[Image: 00E0E_dhIFBBUPi3l_1200x900.jpg]
[Image: 00C0C_36OIQ6yEbHW_1200x900.jpg]

BTW, if anyone can ID the manufacturer I'd appreciate it as I want to find the operator and maintenance manuals.

Forgot one little detail.  $350.00

RE: Latest Delivery - Highpower - 01-29-2020

(01-29-2020, 10:09 PM)Dr Stan Wrote: Forgot one little detail.  $350.00

Jawdrop

Congrats Stan! Thumbsup

I ran across a near new looking Kearney & Trecker H2 on ebay a couple weeks ago that was sitting in Indiana. $3,000
I had to cry because 1) I don't have any way to get it home and 2) I have no place to put it even if i got it here! Bawling

RE: Latest Delivery - TomG - 01-30-2020

First of all, the obligatory "you suck" is in order. Big Grin 

You can always fab an arbor support, but I hope the taper in the spindle is something standard in the U.S. for an arbor.

Tom

RE: Latest Delivery - Dr Stan - 01-30-2020

(01-30-2020, 10:14 AM)TomG Wrote: First of all, the obligatory "you suck" is in order. Big Grin 

You can always fab an arbor support, but I hope the taper in the spindle is something standard in the U.S. for an arbor.

Tom

Thanks.  It's a CAT 40 so that's not an issue.

(01-29-2020, 10:27 PM)Highpower Wrote: Congrats Stan!  Thumbsup

I ran across a near new looking Kearney & Trecker H2 on ebay a couple weeks ago that was sitting in Indiana. $3,000
I had to cry because 1) I don't have any way to get it home and 2) I have no place to put it even if i got it here!  Bawling

I didn't think my one high capacity trailer (I load tested it with five 55 gallon drums filled with water) was up to the job so I rented a 10K lbs capacity trailer from United Rentals.  $64/day and is the type that lowers the deck to virtually ground level.  Figured that was cheap insurance.  I need to off load the machine so I can return the trailer in Evansville, so I better get busy.

Later

Stan

RE: Latest Delivery - Vinny - 01-30-2020

Hey Stan!! Good score!!! BTW ..

You Suck You Suck You Suck You Suck You Suck

Well adventures in unloading.  I built my 2nd garage bay so I could go straight though (garage doors front & back) and connect with the driveway going to the shop.  Right now I'm using the garage as storage for stuff from the shop while I'm rehabing the shop so going through was not an option.  Plus I measured the height of the mill on the trailer & it would not go under the raised doors.

I decided to go around the opposite side of the house and back through the back yard.  Well we've had plenty of rain so I ended up getting stuck.  Thought it had dried out enough, but that was not the case.  Offloaded the mill using 2" pipe onto 1/2" plywood then tried shoving wood under the drive wheels and rocking it back & forth.  No go.  At 6:30 my neighbor came over with his 4 wheel drive PU and pulled me out.  Now I have more yard work to do come Spring. Bleh  Missed getting the trailer back by the end of business today so I figure I'll have to pony up another $64.  Oh well sh!t happens.

The previous owner and I estimate the mill at 6K lbs.  That's a lot given the size of the machine.  In turn that should help dampen vibrations and help produce better finishes.  He used a construction type loader to get it on the trailer and it was right on the edge of making the rear of the loader raise up off the ground.  The vertical head weighs about 500lbs.

Tomorrow after I get back I'll need to turn the mill 90 degrees and start moving it toward the shop's overhead door.  Kinda like eating an elephant.  Once bite at a time.

Another itty bitty detail, it's a universal mill.  The table swivels but I have yet to find a protractor on the table.  Probably covered with multitude layers of paint.  Haven't found anyplace to attach a gear train to operate a dividing head in order to cut helical gears, but then I'm still looking.

(01-29-2020, 10:27 PM)Highpower Wrote: I had to cry because 1) I don't have any way to get it home and 2) I have no place to put it even if i got it here!  Bawling

Sounds like someone has a construction project in his future. Big Grin