MetalworkingFun Forum
Latest Delivery - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Metalworking Discussion (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Latest Delivery (/thread-873.html)

RE: Latest Delivery - Highpower - 12-13-2019

(12-10-2019, 12:04 AM)Dr Stan Wrote: ... It also came with a refrigerator full of rods.

It just dawned on me what that meant. That's a lot of rods! Yikes

Did you get a large assortment as well?

RE: Latest Delivery - Dr Stan - 12-13-2019

(12-13-2019, 11:01 AM)Highpower Wrote:
(12-10-2019, 12:04 AM)Dr Stan Wrote: ... It also came with a refrigerator full of rods.

It just dawned on me what that meant. That's a lot of rods!  Yikes

Did you get a large assortment as well?

Yes quite an assortment, but I haven't inventoried them as of yet.  I did notice quite a few nickle rods for cast iron.

RE: Latest Delivery - TomG - 01-14-2020

Never thought I'd see the day when Horror Fright would sell something of this quality. I needed a set of mechanics tools for the Toy Box, and have been doing the research for something with the best bang for the buck and the new Icon line at HF seems to fit the bill. It is Taiwan made to compete with Snap-On tools, with similar quality, but at a quarter to a fifth the price. It definitely stands out from all the mainland Chinese garbage that surrounds it. My total take was a set of 3/8 and 1/2 drive SAE sockets, along with ratchets and breaker bars, and SAE and metric sets of combination wrenches. I'll probably add a set of metric sockets as well. Gotta have something to work on the dirt bikes with. Big Grin

Tom

[Image: 20200114_212150.jpg]

RE: Latest Delivery - EdK - 01-14-2020

I need a set of complete 1/4" drive sockets for my electronics work and my brother and I, along with our neighbor, will be headed to HF tomorrow afternoon. I'm definitely going to check out their 1/4" socket sets.

Ed

RE: Latest Delivery - Vinny - 01-15-2020

HF is also a good source for heat shrink tubing.

RE: Latest Delivery - Highpower - 01-15-2020

Well they certainly have gotten the Snap-On look down. Big Grin

I've seen a few reviews on their new lines of tools and they have been favorable. Seems Harbor Freight is really trying to upgrade their image along with the quality of their tools.

Many years ago I was looking to buy a new 3/4 impact wrench and walked into the local HF store to browse. To my surprise they had a number of Ingersol-Rand tools on the shelves. Jawdrop
I walked out with a new 3/4" IR impact gun for $300. The next week when The Snap-On dealer showed up at work I asked him the price on the same IR tool he had on his truck. $700 he says... Yikes

Sadly I haven't seen an IR tool on their shelves since.

RE: Latest Delivery - Vinny - 01-15-2020

When they're not sure if they're going to offer something they test it with someone else's product first. But they usually put their name on it. IR may not have gone for that one. My mig/flux welder has the HF name but it's actually a Hobart, made by Hobart in Italy.

RE: Latest Delivery - rleete - 01-15-2020

My Lincoln welder is made in Poland. Have to say I'm very happy with the fit and finish on the thing, and it has worked flawlessly right out of the box with no adjustments needed.

RE: Latest Delivery - TomG - 01-15-2020

(01-15-2020, 12:14 AM)Highpower Wrote: Well they certainly have gotten the Snap-On look down.  Big Grin

Not only the look, Willie. As with Snap-On, there is just enough material on the ends of the wrenches to get the job done, which means they will fit in places that others won't (such as Craftsman). I compared the Ikon 5/8" combination to my Snap-On and the only difference I could see was a slightly wider shank, but that is likely due to mine being a shorter version.

Tom

[Image: 20200115_113617.jpg]

[Image: 20200115_113636.jpg]

RE: Latest Delivery - Highpower - 01-15-2020

(01-15-2020, 01:21 AM)Vinny Wrote: When they're not sure if they're going to offer something they test it with someone else's product first.  But they usually put their name on it.  IR may not have gone for that one.  My mig/flux welder has the HF name but it's actually a Hobart, made by Hobart in Italy.

Yeah, they had several different IR air tools on the shelves right along side the Harbor Freight air tools. It was the first time I had seen ANY 'name brand' tool in a HF store and could hardly believe it. Maybe they did eventually just copy the IR tools and put their name on them. I was just disappointed to find the IR stuff was gone the next time I went back in.