MetalworkingFun Forum
Latest Delivery - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Metalworking Discussion (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Latest Delivery (/thread-873.html)

RE: Latest Delivery - Vinny - 11-05-2019

That's probably why I never had the desire to take one apart!

RE: Latest Delivery - arvidj - 11-05-2019

Is this the basis of the term "you don't want to know how the sausage is made"?

RE: Latest Delivery - Pete O - 11-06-2019

I was glad I had a look in this instance, got the crap out before it had a chance to do any damage. I'm sure it'll last forever now.
As for sausages, that reminds me...
I went for a medical and the doc told me I should stop eating bacon. 'Why?' says I. 'Because I'm trying to examine you' says he.  Big Grin

RE: Latest Delivery - Highpower - 11-06-2019

Several years ago I bought one of the $9 Harbor Freight 4-1/2" angle grinders to see if they were even worth that much. First time I turned it on it sounded like a coffee grinder. Horrible sound and a smell to match. I pulled the head apart and cleaned out all of the factory swarf and wax (Chinese grease) and applied some Moly EP grease inside the housing instead. I tried out the grinder and the gearing was fairly quiet then and usable. Granted it's not a Metabo, but still usable. I bought a couple more of them for throwing around / loaners, and went through the same routine with them right out of the box, and they were equally as filthy inside. Still worth a little bit of time to clean them out to give them a chance at survival. I do have better grinders but I'm the only one that gets to use those.   Big Grin

Speaking of doctors...

[attachment=16346]

RE: Latest Delivery - Vinny - 11-06-2019

I've got one of them angle grinders.  Got it at one of their parking lot sales.  I don't use it much, only when welding, the air angle grinder with a wire cup gets more use.

Anyway, today's delivery was 20 pieces of .250" aluminum round, 48" long.  

[Image: antrods.jpg]

I'm going to make an antenna.  I picked up an Icom R-7000 for about $20 not working - then the previous owner got mad at it  and abused it some.  I un-abused it, fixed it, and so far the only parts I've had to replace is the antenna connector in the back.  A couple of parts got a little too cozy and were causing problems.

So the antenna I'm going to make is a discone, yeah, I can buy one already made for about $40, but I bought enough aluminum rod to make at least 2 of 'em, or 1 and another project for about $14.50 - shipped!  (Xometry).

Here's the start of the base where the lower, and longer, radials will screw in.  There will be 8 of them.  I'll be setting up the rotary table on the mill do drill the 8 holes for that and the top piece.  

[Image: antbase.jpg]

(11-06-2019, 11:49 AM)Vinny Wrote:  I picked up an Icom R-7000 for about $20 not working -

You Suck You Suck You Suck
Because one just isn't enough...

Nice deal on the aluminum. That reminds me I need to try buying one of their remnant boxes to see what I'll get. I could use some more tooling plates.

RE: Latest Delivery - Vinny - 11-06-2019

I only have the one. The other receiver is a PCR, no front panel.

RE: Latest Delivery - TomG - 11-06-2019

I'm off to pick up a DoAll model ML bandsaw in the morning. It's a 16", variable speed machine with power feed and a blade welder and looks to be in its original paint. The guy originally had it listed for $500 and I jumped on it as soon as possible, but someone else was scheduled to look at it first. I asked if he would send me a few more images and I might be able to make him a better offer, which I did, and stole it out from under a guy who was actually there looking at it. Big Grin I think it's near you Vinny, on Hemingway Rd. in Lake Orion.

I'll get some pics posted tomorrow, when I actually see it.

Tom

Vinny, I meant one "You Suck" was not enough because I never have deals like that fall into my lap. Big Grin

I did go ahead and order a box of remnants from Xometry this afternoon. Just got a notice that it will be delivered on Friday! Jawdrop

(11-06-2019, 08:16 PM)TomG Wrote: I asked if he would send me a few more images and I might be able to make him a better offer, which I did, and stole it out from under a guy who was actually there looking at it. Big Grin

Tom

Applaud Well played Mr. Bond. Smile