MetalworkingFun Forum
Latest Delivery - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Metalworking Discussion (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Latest Delivery (/thread-873.html)

RE: Latest Delivery - Vinny - 09-12-2019

Yeah I saw that. I went to the site of the solvent manufacturer but their database is down and because of that, so is their site. I was able to get the MSDS but it doesn't give that info. Whatever the case, the pump isn't scheduled to be here till Monday, which is odd since it's already picked up and Indiana (where it's coming from) is typically overnite for FedEx Ground. Monday's fine, I got plenty to do.

On another note, some of the tapered end mills are from Conical and the stock numbers are still on them, so identifying them will be a lot easier. How to store them with that info is another story!

Allen wrenches are sorted out. 19 or 20 different sizes, 1/4, 5/16 & 3/8 the most common sizes, 3/64 for the smallest, 5/8 for the largest.

RE: Latest Delivery - Dr Stan - 09-12-2019

I use diesel fuel in my parts washer.  Does a very good job, has a relatively low flash point, and is way cheaper than official solvent and easy to find.  When it gets too dirty I just take it to one of the semi-annual hazardous waste collection days.  I also have a oil filter attached to the pump to help keep the fluid cleaner.

RE: Latest Delivery - Vinny - 09-14-2019

Picked this up tonite, 4" jaws, swivel and tilt.  $60. Not the best pic.

[Image: new-vise.jpg]

RE: Latest Delivery - Highpower - 09-15-2019

(09-14-2019, 08:34 PM)Vinny Wrote: Picked this up tonite, 4" jaws, swivel and tilt.  $60.  Not the best pic.

You've been a busy guy lately. Thumbsup

RE: Latest Delivery - Vinny - 09-15-2019

Yeah, but it's finally calming down. Picked up the new motor today - he has two more, I may go back and get 'em just because - and another VFD should be here this week. I'll have to put the original motor back on the mill tho to make a new mounting plate for the new motor. The new motor is a face mount like the original was. Unfortunately the guy that changed out the motor didn't hang onto the old mounting stuff.

RE: Latest Delivery - rleete - 10-01-2019

Pair of 6" Kant Twist clamps, for my new found welding obsession:

[attachment=16319]

I paid $45.30 (shipped) for the pair, eBay auction.  For those who don't know, that's less than 1 new.

RE: Latest Delivery - Highpower - 10-02-2019

The first problem with Kant-Twists (or welding clamps in general) is you never have the size you need - when - you need it. Either they don't open far enough, or the throat is too short to reach where it needs to be.

The second problem is when you DO have a good assortment of clamps (after you have taken out the second mortgage) - where do you store them all? 17428

It's a vicious cycle. Big Grin

RE: Latest Delivery - Pete O - 11-04-2019

I ordered an El-Cheapo butterfly impact wrench so I can make a copy of Tom's power drawbar for the mill. Harbor Freight don't ship here so I found this on eBay.
[attachment=16345]

Initial assessment suggests that you get what you pay for- and I didn't pay much. I'm a little worried that if I attach a handle to the trigger on this thing it will come apart the first time I use it. It also leaks from the swivelling inlet thing so might need some O-rings before it even gets any use. I have a few other things that have to get done before I get to this little project though.

RE: Latest Delivery - Highpower - 11-04-2019

They all start leaking over time. A fresh set of o-rings, make sure you add a few drops of air tool oil into it once in awhile, and run with it. It may surprise you.

RE: Latest Delivery - Pete O - 11-05-2019

I had a young fella here shovelling dirt into the new veggie planter boxes for me today so in between moving the trailer for him I stripped this impact wrench down and did a little fettling. I de-burred the internal parts rather than let them de-burr themselves in service like the manufacturer intended; also cleaned out the swarf they left in there and replaced the O-rings on the air inlet. Now it doesn't leak and perhaps has half a chance of a reasonable service life.
Once you've seen inside one of these cheapy tools you never again have to ask how they do it for the price.