MetalworkingFun Forum
Latest Delivery - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Metalworking Discussion (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Latest Delivery (/thread-873.html)

RE: Latest Delivery - Pete O - 09-11-2019

Went to a clearing sale today hoping to get some R8 tooling but the industrial boys were bidding everything waaay out of my budget. I did pick up this 2-way mag sine chuck for a good price, should be handy. The sine plates are 5" each way, didn't measure the chuck surface- about 6"x8" or so I think.
[attachment=16314]
A problem that I hope is not insurmountable though, the cam lever is jammed solid in the 'Off' position. Anyone had one of these apart? Looks like the base plate is screwed and dowelled.
[attachment=16315]

RE: Latest Delivery - Vinny - 09-11-2019

The lever for turning the magnet on and off? Usually what happens (at least in DI holders) is little chips come off the magnet from it getting bounced around. Cleaning them out and making sure the any/all pivot points are clean fixes it right up. I bought a box of DI holders at an auction a number of years ago and a couple of them were frozen. Open, clean, close, they're back in action.

RE: Latest Delivery - Pete O - 09-11-2019

I dismantled the sine plates from the chuck so I could get to the bottom of it (literally and figuratively). Found this warning stamped into the bottom of the chuck
[attachment=16316]
One of those 'doesn't seem like so much of a bargain now' moments.

I decided to forge ahead anyway. Removed the screws around the perimeter of the underside that obviously hold the sandwich together. I began to tap the base off the chuck with a brass drift; it dd not want to come apart. After a minute or so of tapping around the perimeter, I tried the on/off lever again and it moved! Worked it back and forth a bit and it came free, tested the magnet and it was switching on & off.
There's a little plug in the base of the chuck, I removed this and could see some movement of the internals but they were obvuiously caked in old cruddy lubricant. I filled the chuck with prepwash and sloshed it around a bit, worked the mechanism a bit, sloshed it around a bit more then drained it and filled it with fresh 80w90 gear oil. Put a bit of thread sealant on the plug, also on the screws that hold the sine bar onto the base of the chuck itself as a couple of these holes penetrate into the cavity. It now works like a charm. Next thing will be to mount it and dress the surface; I'll do the bottom and then the top.

RE: Latest Delivery - Vinny - 09-12-2019

Now it says dismantling done by makers only. You're a maker, aren't you? You make stuff!

Went to the shop that the auction was held at the other day to pick up my treasures.   As promised, here are the pics.  There's one item I didn't take a pic of and that's a tailstock.  It's a bit huskier than I expected, but it's purpose hasn't changed.  It will be used with the rotary table.  On second thought, I will add the pic...  In fact, it'll be first.  It set me back a whole $5.  As you can tell, I didn't bother to clean it up.  The #14 wrench is there for size reference.

[Image: a6.jpg]

The chainsaw is a Homelite and the main reason I bid on it was because noone else did.  Also mine quit a couple of months ago.  This was also $5.

[Image: a5.jpg]

I am forever losing allen wrenches.  Probably because I don't really have a place to put them.  Soon I will...  This, too, was $5.

[Image: a1.jpg]

If these look tapered, it's because they are.  I haven't gone thru them yet and cataloged the tapers, all in due time.  This one I didn't even realize I won.  I thought I was going to be outbid so I stopped watching it.  Then when the auction summary came in later that evening I wondered why it was more than I expected.  That's when I saw that I actually did win it!   It was $65.  

[Image: a2.jpg]

I've needed a parts washer for some time, this one closed at $15.  Someone had already relieved it of it's pump and sprayer but it'll still work.  If necessary I'll use an air powered pressure wash sprayer, or I'll dig up a pump from something.

[Image: a3.jpg]

And last but not least, remember above me saying I'll have a place to put them allen wrenches?  Well I have a drawer full of those little Surplus Shed bins with my endmills in them.  Now they have a real home, plus room for the reamers and taps currently in another drawer.  Not sure if I'll put any drill bits in them, for now the index I have works fine, but that may change. The allen wrenches and the chuck keys I had gotten at a previous auction will go where those bins and reamers are now. I paid more than I wanted to for this tho, still cheaper than new and they cleaned up really good.  I did find some drill bits, including center drills in one of them.   These are Huot and I know of an ebay seller where I can get them for $72 each, shipped, all day long.  I paid $155 for the three of them and had the pleasure (sic) of cleaning them up.

[Image: a4.jpg]

RE: Latest Delivery - Highpower - 09-12-2019

First things first... You Suck You Suck You Suck You Suck You Suck

Also you can get new Little Giant submersible pumps (inexpensive) from the usual suspects. Thumbsup

How are they with parts cleaner fluid - like the stuff TSC sells?

RE: Latest Delivery - Dr Stan - 09-12-2019

(09-12-2019, 02:32 PM)Highpower Wrote: First things first...  You Suck   You Suck   You Suck   You Suck   You Suck

Also you can get new Little Giant submersible pumps (inexpensive) from the usual suspects.   Thumbsup

Ya beat me to it. Big Grin

Update: Just found a 1-YS Little Giant parts washer pump on the bay for $20 (offer accepted).

RE: Latest Delivery - Highpower - 09-12-2019

(09-12-2019, 03:05 PM)Vinny Wrote: How are they with parts cleaner fluid - like the stuff TSC sells?

Quote:It is intended to pump unheated metal parts-cleaning solvent that is UL classified as PJQU
as described in the Gas and Oil Equipment Directory.
Whatever that means. Blush

https://littlegiant.com/media/131055/993855.pdf