MetalworkingFun Forum
Latest Delivery - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Metalworking Discussion (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Latest Delivery (/thread-873.html)

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - PixMan - 01-09-2015

Too funny BF.

The Germans do make some seriously nice tools. The problem is that they are SO proud of them! No one in their right mind would spend even $45 for a tap for the home shop which he or she may never use. They are hard enough to sell into shops that actually have to tap a LOT of holes because the slightly higher cutting rates and truly long tool life are the only selling points. Most shops balk at even trying a tool at those kind of prices. Only when they do are they able to see the value, but at $142.00 it's a really tough sell.

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - Mayhem - 01-09-2015

What is the life expectancy of one of those taps Ken?

That depends upon the material, the depth of the hole, the cutting speed used, etc.

For an example, I used the (free) GPS software on the Walter website and entered 1018 steel, 1.5" deep. With that I get 410rpm, 6.3 seconds per hole, expect at least 487 holes.

If I change the material to 316 stainless steel and go only 1" deep, it suggests 127rpm @ 13.44 seconds per hole but only 141 holes. In my experience with the THL coating you generally get 3 to 4 times those number of holes when using a tapping compound. The whole point of using the THL coating is that for most CNC machines you can't (or do not want to) stop mid-cycle for a dab of tapping fluid so you run with machine coolant. That's where you see the software predicted life getting closer to reality.

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - Mayhem - 01-09-2015

So I'm guessing that you will never wear it out then Big Grin

I'm surprised that the CNC machines don't have an attachment that puts a dab of cutting fluid on the tap. They seem to be able to do everything else.

What some shops do is have a lube attachment that will spray a low viscosity lube at the tap, others will have a cup mounted off to the side (out of the coolant stream) and program the tool to move to it and dip the tip in paste. That's wasteful and usually far too much lube.

And you're right, I expect that tap to be an "heirloom" tool, right along with my measuring tools. Big Grin

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - Highpower - 01-15-2015

Technically not UPS, but....

If there is an "after-life" I want to come back as a machine tool manufacturer. I used to complain about the price of mechanics tools, but no more!
$160 Really!!!??? Yikes

[attachment=9866]

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - EdK - 01-15-2015

Jawdrop   5176

Ed

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - arvidj - 01-15-2015

Willie, I no longer feel bad about the cost of my welder repair. On a per pound basis i think I came out way ahead!!!

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - Highpower - 01-15-2015

(01-15-2015, 07:39 PM)arvidj Wrote: Willie, I no longer feel bad about the cost of my welder repair. On a per pound basis i think I came out way ahead!!!

You might be right about that Arvid. Big Grin
Although pound for pound I think your welder is only about 25 lbs heavier than the transformer in my Syncrowave.  Rotfl

The scary thing is Enco's "Made in America" (mystery manufacturer) brand feelers would have only been about $5 less. Yikes
I'd rather buy direct from the manufacturer and know what I'm getting for the extra fin.

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - EdK - 01-16-2015

(01-15-2015, 10:11 PM)Highpower Wrote: ...

The scary thing is Enco's "Made in America" (mystery manufacturer) brand feelers would have only been about $5 less. Yikes

Plus they don't say which America they are made in. 17428

Ed